Monday, April 29, 2013

Wolfe Tones and Galway into Pat O'Brien Cup Semis

Galway 1-11 Shannon Blues 1-10 (AET)

It was down to wire between Galway and the Blues
for the second week running.
It took extra time to separate Galway and Shannon Blues one week following their close encounter.  Once again it was tremendusly exciting affair.  The game was fast, the teams moved the ball well, and it followed a similar storyline to the previous one last weekend.  The Blues looked like they had the game in the back, only for Galway to rally late and this time, force extra time.  The winning score was again a free, this time from Kevin Cummins.

The Blues started brightly, Andy Glennon was again on the mark early.  Shane Cavanagh added a couple for the Blues, but Galway kept the game in hand with scores from Jamie Kehoe, Danny Reddin, and Cummins.  The Blues put some distance between themselves and their opponents with some good second half football.  The Blues attacked in waves and put the ball wide of the posts several time before finding the spot between the posts.  Cavanagh was again on the mark, and with time running out the Blues had a 4 point lead.  Galway put four in a row over the bar to tie it up.  Two free kicks from Cummins, one from play and a Kehoe point meant added time would be needed.

Each side goaled in the extra period.  Galway first through Reddin after some great work by Cummins and the Blues through Anton McDermott.  Cummins was the man again for the westerners with a point from a sideline and what proved to be the winner from a free kick about 40 yards out.  Galway advance to meet Aidan McAnespies in the semi-final which will be played Wednesday night at 5:30.

Wolfe Tones 0-11 Cork 0-1

It was back to earth for Cork when they met a strong Wolfe Tones side in the other quarter final one Sunday.  Cork conceded a lot in size and strength as the Tones did not mess around in putting the game away early.  At the break the Cup champions held the rebels scoreless while running up an eight point tally.  It was more of the same in the second period.  Cork managed a Mike Moynihan free, while the Tones continued to keep the scoreboard ticking over with scores from Marty Farrell, Danny Egan, and Dan McCAbe.  The Tones meet Christopher's at 2:00 next Sunday in the semi-final.

Wednesday May 1
Pat O'Brien Cup Semi-Final:  5:30 Aidan McAnespies v Galway

Sunday May 5
Pat O'Brien Cup Semi-Final:  2:00 Christopher's v Wolfe Tones
Sheehan Cup:  3:00 Tipperary v Fr. Tom Burke's

No comments: