Monday, May 27, 2013

May 26 - Senior Football: Aidan McAnespies v Connemara Gaels

Connemara Gaels 2-8 Aidan McAnespies 1-9 

The weather broke to greet the Connemara Gaels and Aidan McAnespies who opened the senior football championship.  It was dry, but cool and breezy and the main field looked in immaculate shape.  Though not a masterpiece, it was an evenly contested 60 minutes and full of excitement with the result in doubt until the 60 minutes had passed.  McAnespies looked like they might shade the win after Barry Smith pointed with normal time almost up, only for Michael Lundy to hit the back of the net from inside the box in injury time. 

The "signs" are looking good for the Gaels after a great win over Aidan McAnespies
Ciaran O'Donnell held Cian Tobin in check
throughout the game.
At the end of the first 30 minutes of football the Gaels held a three point advantage thanks to a penalty after 10 minutes.  Corner forward Kevin McGrath, who worked hard all through, was fouled in the area and Sean Conneely expertly put the spot kick away.  The Gaels came out the stronger of the two teams, and points from Noel Graham, McGrath, and Trevor Mullins had the westerners in an early four point lead.  McAnespies worked their way back into it.  Barry Smith and Gareth O'Neill gained a foothold in the middle of the field, and the gap closed to two points with scores from O'Neill and wing back Aidan Lynch. 

The sides traded scores to open the second half, which was a stop start affair.  Smith, Ciaran McClean, and Tobin pointed for McAnespies, while for the Gaels it was Graham and Conneely who put three over between them.  After Kevin McGrath extended the Gaels lead with a well taken score, McAnespies struck with a goal.  Gareth O'Neill who had moved to an advanced position early in the second period won posession in the box, sold a trademark dummy, and netted from inside 14 yards.  The score was followed by a fisted point from Tobin and a great effort from 30 yards by Barry Smith.  With McAnespies ahead by a point it looked like the win was heading their way, but Michael Lundy had the final say.  Noel Graham was found on the wing and fed Lundy who beat his man and fired home.  First blood to the Gaels who meet Kerry in their next outing two weeks from now.   

Macs:  P. Coakley, M. Bogue, E. Delmar, N. Gallen, C. McClean (0-1), A. Lynch (0-1), C. Dempsey, A. Phearson, B. Smith (0-3), G. O'Neill (1-1), E. Hamill, D. Brolly, C. Tobin (0-3).  Gaels:  E. Connolly, D. Doolan, C. O'Donnell, J. Purcell, E. Gorman, C. Seoighe, T. Mullins (0-1), N. Graham (0-3), S. Conneelly (1-1), T.McDonagh, M. Lundy (1-0), K. McGrath (0-2), J. Geoghegan.

By Rory O'Donnell

No comments: