Sunday, May 31, 2015

Senior Football: Christopher's v Galway

Galway 2-5 Christopher’s 1-14

Christopher’s held off a late Galway challenge in the pouring rain to secure an early two points.  Starting the game conditions were greasy, however the rain began to fall in heavy waves as time went on, making conditions very difficult for the players.  Christopher’s established a practically unassailable lead over the first 50 minutes, however, Galway battled to the bitter end and can take heart from that last 15 minutes where the tribesmen tallied 2-3.

Jamie Kehoe on the move for Galway.
Christopher’s took the break four points to the good in poor conditions as a heavy rain started to fall with about 10 minutes left in the half.  Tom Fahy got Christopher’s off the mark with a pointed free, and Christopher’s followed with an additional four unanswered points.  Eoghan Buckley (2), Mark Delaney, and Fahy hit the mark.  Galway keeper, James Kelly pulled off a fine save as Christopher’s were merrily moving the ball in the right direction while Galway struggled to gain any traction. 

The first shot at goal from the Brighton men came when the half was about 15 minutes old, and there were four wides before JJ Doyle finally broke the duck with a fine effort that went over the bar.  Galway added a second from Shane Regan as the westerners finally worked their way into the game, and at the break it was a 0-6 to 0-2 Christopher’s lead.

Christopher's Mark Delaney wins this ball.
The poor conditions made for sloppy football with both sides making errant passes and struggling to hold on to the ball.   Galway found themselves on the back foot, and did not help their cause by giving up possession when on the move.  Each promising move ended with the final pass falling short or into the hands of an opponent.  Christopher’s proceeded to pop the points over the bar as in the first half, each score putting the game further out of reach for their opponents.   David Cash, Delaney, and Eoghan Buckley pointed and the lead grew to 14 points. 

Galway plugged away and eventually good things started to happen for them.  Sean Marshall’s shot from distance sneaked into the back of the net, and shortly afterwards Kevin Cummins finished a great move to knock another three points off the Christopher’s lead.  Further points came from Cummins, Marshall and Jason Campion though time was not a friend of Galway’s at that stage.  Fahy finished the scoring for the day and Christopher’s will be happy with the win.

Christopher’s:  E. Keogh, K. Fuglianeti, L. Kitterick, P. Kenneally, E. O’Neill, J. Horgan, D. Kenneally, C. Murphy, M. Delaney, D. Cash, T. Fany, P. Manning, E. Buckley.  Galway:  J. Kelly, G. Lundy, P. Cummins, D. Lowrey, D. Egan, J. Kehoe, S. Marshall, J. Campion, D. Gallagher, D. Reddin, S. Regan, K. Cummins, JJ Doyle.

By Rory O'Donnell

No comments: