Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Sun Aug 28 - Senior Hurling Final: Galway v Tipperary

Tipperary 1-10 Galway 3-12

Galway dethroned Tipperary in a senior hurling final that was shaping up for a grandstand finish but just as quick, hopes for an exciting finale fizzled.  Galway held a six point lead that Tipp had reduced to four when two Tipperary players were given their marching orders for off the ball incidents.  Galway, who had the edge on their opponents to that point, now had two additional men to see them through to the finish, and it was a delighted captain, Dan Lordan who lifted the cup to start the celebrations.

Galway Senior Hurlers - 2016 Boston Champions
An early goal gave Galway first half momentum.  Paul O’Dwyer’s close range shot appeared to have been saved at first, however, the umpire signaled that the ball had crossed the line and the goal was awarded.  It was helter skelter stuff, neither side willing to give an inch.  About 15 minutes into the game a minor fracas broke out that took a few minutes to untangle, and a yellow was shown to Sean Nally – handbag stuff really.  Mark Ellis scored two mighty points for Galway, one a free from inside his own 65 and another from a sideline 45 yards out.  Galway played the ball well, 2 scores coming from patience and intelligent use of the ball. 

For Tipp Tommy Heffernan was on the mark with the frees, accounting for 3 of Tipp’s four, and with less than 10 minutes left in the period the Premier men had pulled the goal back.  It was Mark Kavanagh who finished into the far corner.  The Tribesmen restored their advantage 2 minutes later after Hugh Lawlor made a lengthy run, the Kilkenny man found Pat White who made no mistake with the goal at his mercy.  Galway’s defending was impressive with Ellis, Lawlor, and Dan Lordan denying Tipp room.  Points were added by Darragh Murray and White to put Galway into a two goal half time lead.  Galway 2-4 Tipperary 1-4.

With just over 10 minutes played in the second half Tipeprary lost the services of Barry Nash with a red card for an off the ball incident.  Cian Lynch had just taken a point off Galway’s six point lead when Nash got his marching orders.  A few minutes later another Tipperary man was shown the line, this time Andrew Ryan for a similar incident.  It was a shame as Tipp had just made it a four point game and with the final stretch of the game coming up were now down 2 players.

Galway netted a third goal, it had more than an air of good fortune.  Ellis launched a bomb into the Tipp goalmouth from distance and defenders and keeper alike left it to each other, the ball went untouched into the net.    Galway had loose men all over the field now, and each Tipp attack was met with a wall of maroon shirts as, with options reduced, each of the Premier men tried to make his own opening.  Cian Lynch pointed twice for Tipp, but Galway had Niall Mullins, White and Kenny to maintain the gap between the sides.  Galway kept their lead intact to the final whistle and it was a delighted Galway team that brought the cup back to Brighton for the celebrations.

Tipp:  J. Maher, M. Carey, C. Neville, C. Ryan, A. Ryan, S. Nally, B. Troy, C. Dempsey, B. Nash, C. Rafferty, M. Kavaangh, C. Lynch, T. Heffernan.  Subs:  E, Moriarty, P. Ryan, Jason Bergin.

Galway:  J. Loftus, D. Quirke, C. Daly, M. Ellis, H. Lawlor, D. Lordan, R. Fitzpatrick, N. Mullins, K. Kenny, P. O’Leary, D. Murray, P. O’Dwyer, P. White.  Subs:  E. Feeney, Brian McGuane, Ray Grealish, Niall Galvin. 

Referee:  Ger Hoey, Co. Clare.

By Rory O'Donnell 

No comments: