Monday, July 11, 2022

Senior Football - Connemara Gaels v Galway

Connemara Gaels 2-19 Galway 2-6

Jack Lynch Rises High for the Gaels

After a tightly contested first half the Connemara Gaels put in an impressive second period to establish their championship credentials.  With Armagh men Conor Turbitt and Ben Crealy beefing up the team sheet, it was James Garrity who lit up the second half with a 10 minute period where he went into overdrive, and it seemed that neither man, woman, nor beast would have stopped him.  The game was still in the balance as the Gaels lead of two points ballooned to a yawning 10 after Garrity scored an impressive 1-5 on the trot as the Trillick man ran riot over the Galway defence.

The Gaels opened with 3 points on the trot with 2 from Garrity and Ben Crealy with a lovely effort.  Galway were not long getting into the swing of things.  A couple of frees were converted by Ben Dunne, and then a double goal strike looked to put the Tribesmen in the driver’s seat. Daire Keenan shot the first and Dunne the second, both great finishes from inside the 14 yard line.  Galway hopes must have been high of adding to last week’s victory over Donegal. 

The Gaels tried to reestablish themselves on the game and gradually found their way back into it and chipped away at the deficit.  With most of the possession, Turbitt, Mikey Kerr, and Jack Mahon converted for the Gaels while Galway’s supply to the full forward line slowed and a Danny Burke point was the sole reward coming up to the break.  Garrity’s late score made it a one point game at the break, Gaels 0-9 to Galway’s 2-4.

James Garrity and Ciaran Potter Challenge
for the Ball

The Gaels took control in the second half with some great movement and passing as they raised the tempo and Galway could not match it.  The teams traded scores to reopen affairs, Colman Mulkerrin for the Gaels and Mike Moynihan for Galway.  It was then pretty much one way traffic after that with the Gaels going on a blistering run of scores.  Conor Turbitt’s effort leveled the scores, and Michael Coyne scored an unlikely looping point from a tough angle to put the Gaels ahead.

The aforementioned Garrity then came into his own and the quick corner forward from Trillick County Tyrone tallied a goal and five points in a quick fire period.  Jack Mahon had added to the Gaels lead from centre forward after finishing a good move with a fisted point over the bar, then it was the James Garrity show.  Speed and quickness, combined with deadly accuracy from Garrity pushed the Gaels lead wider and wider.  The goal was a well finished effort, and that was really the score that put the dagger into Galway hearts.  Following a quick exchange of passes, Garrity fired the ball to the top corner from a range of about 21 yards, and that made the difference.  Six points in it, The Gaels on fire and there was no way back for Galway. 

The Gaels continued enjoy the upper hand as Galway had the wind knocked out of them.  Justin Kieran who came on as a sub added a second goal for the Gaels.  Next week for Galway is the Macs, and for the Gaels it is Donegal. 

Gaels:  Sean Fox, Jack Coyne, Callum Holland, Sean Conneely, Ryan Caffrey, Michael Coyne, Jack Lynch, Ben Crealy, Colman Mulkerrin, Jack Mahon, Mike Kerr, Conor Turbitt, Jack Garrity.  Galway:  Jamie Kelly, Stuart Cullen, Ricky Johnston, Eoin Dunne, Ciaran Potter, Aidan Flanagan, Paddy Mullins, Eoin Morrissey, Pat Moylan, Danny Burke, Michael Moylan, John Dunne, Daire Keenan.

By Rory O'Donnell

No comments: