Monday, May 9, 2011

Pat O'Brien Cup Final: Aidan McAnespies 0-22 Wolfe Tones 1-11

Aidan McAnespies 0-22 Wolfe Tones 1-9

Aidan McAnespies:  Pat O'Brien Cup Winners 2011
Aidan McAnespies captured the first silverware of the season in style on Sunday afternoon. Despite conceding a goal immediately from the throw-in, McAnespies refused to get rattled. In fact, McAnespies rattled off eleven points in response and went on to win comfortably. The Tones managed to close the gap to three points early in the second half, but an adjustment in the back line and renewed focus saw McAnespies comfortably through to the final whistle.

The Tones got off to the best possible start. Kenny Regan won the throw-in and sent Sean Kelly through for a goal within seconds. The goal did not rattle McAnespies, and the northerners answered in clinical fashion. McAnespies cancelled out the goal within minutes, and continued to run rampant through the Tones defence. Wolfe Tones options going forward were limited, McAnespies back line played tight and when in possession the Tones looked directionless . At the other end of the field, Plunkett Kane and Philip Toner were full of running and the forward line could not have asked for more in the way of support. Eleven unanswered points was the outcome. All five forwards got on the scoreboard and the Tones looked out of answers. The Tones showed some life towards the end of the half. Bart Blanchfield pointed, and Marty Farrell swung a trademark point over the bar from the sideline. Another two points from Farrell inched the Tones closer. At the half it was 1-4 for the Tones to an impressive 0-13 for McAnespies.

Colm McCrory looks to set up another attack
as Philip Toner and Kenny Regan look on.
The Tones opened the second half with serious intent. Within 5 minutes the deficit was reduced to three points. Blanchfield, Kelly, and Farrell combined to force McAnespies to make adjustments in the back line. It was game on again, and McAnespies were forced to make some defensive switches and pick up the pace to fend off the Tones challenge. McAnespies answered with some great scores. One from Plunkett Kane and another from Niall Kerr, each the finish to some great passing moves. With the difference between the sides six points and the Tones unable to make inroads, frustration got the better of Gary Brilly who was shown a red card for hitting Paddy McCusker off the ball. Kenny Regan was later shown a yellow for a dangerous trip. At that point the outcome was in little doubt. A great display from McAnespies who worked well together as a team. Plunkett Kane deserves the man of the match for a tremendous display. The Coalisland man worked hard and made intelligent use of the ball as well as taking some fine scores. Macs the ones to watch again this year.

Macs: C. Kendrick, M. Bogue, A. McAnespie, S. Hughes, N. Kerr, N. Gallen, P. Toner, P. Kane, M. Little, C. McCrory, S. Magill, S. Cournane, P. O’Donohoe. Tones: C. Hynes, D. Maguire, A. Rooney, C. Malone, A. Higgins, M. O’Brien, G. Brilly, K. Regan, B. Blanchfield, C. Power, S. Kelly, S. O’Brien, M.Farrell.

By Rory O'Donnell

No comments: