Monday, June 18, 2012

Galway Come off Best in Brighton Derby

Galway 0-16 Armagh-Notre Dame 2-4

The Brighton clubs crossed swords Sunday afternoon with each side looking for their first win of the season.  It was a game that would have Galway as favourites by a significant margin.  Galway ended up coming away with the win, but the outcome was in serious doubt until the last 10 minutes of the game.  Armagh-Notre Dame held a one-point lead with 15 minutes to go, but the northern effort lost steam and scoring options were at a premium in the latter stages.  Galway finished comfortably in the end, but not without being put to the test.

Armagh-Notre Dame gave it a go but did not have enough juice for Galway.
Armagh-Notre Dame held their own in the first half, but one had the feeling that the chances of an upset were slim.  Galway missed a plethora of scoring chances that would have seen their half-time lead be far more than the single point that it was.  A sending off early in the game also gave the feeling that it would probably hurt the Orange half of Brighton more than it would Galway.  Corner back, Shane Murney, and Galway’s Keith O’Hara were shown the line for their part in an off the ball wrestling match eight minutes into the game.  Armagh-ND kept in it for most of the half thanks to a goal from Conor McGoran who fisted a bouncing ball into the net from the edge of the small square.  Galway had put three points over the bar, one each from Mark Kenny, Eoghan Whelan, and Ollie Doherty.  Jamie Keogh leveled the scores and Galway then opened up a lead.  Leon Kelly and two Doherty frees looked like they would put Galway three to the good at the break, but a late flurry from the northerners reduced the deficit to the one point.  Conor McGoran and Shane Marrow each pointed before the break.  There could also have been a goal, but Pronsias McComiskey got down well to save from McGoran.

The Galway footballers got the better of their Brighton rivals, but only just.

Armagh-Notre Dame threw the cat among the pigeons with a second half goal that put them into an unlikely one point lead.  Galway had missed some easy chances to start the second period, and at that point the unlikely upset looked possible.  The game slipped away from Armagh-Notre Dame from that point on however.  Galway stepped up their level of intensity and the orchard county side began to tire.  After Doherty leveled the scores, Kenny and Graham Cullen went to work and combined well to put four points over the bar between them, and put some distance between the teams.  The frustration grew for the northerners as Galway played the ball around with relative ease in the final quarter.  Doherty added two free kicks to round out the scoring.  Armagh-Notre Dame yet to record their first win, and Galway take their first two points of the season.

Galway:  P. McComiskey, R. Vickers, J. O’Callaghan, S. Fox, E. Whelan, J. Kehoe, O. Doherty, E. Kavanagh, K. O’Hara, L. Kelly, M. Kenny, G. Cullen, D. Reddin.  Armagh-ND:  O. Murphy, S. McGee, S. Murney, S. McKenna, N. Lowry, F. Meehan, K. Sheerin, C. McGee, D. Shaw, A. Donovan, K. Marrow, C. McGoran, M. Davidson.

By Rory O'Donnell

No comments: