Monday, June 18, 2012

Wolfe Tones Back on Track with Win over Christopher's

Wolfe Tones 1-14 Christopher’s 1-10

It was a tremendously exciting 60 minutes with Wolfe Tones looking for a win over Christopher’s to get back on track in their quest for the 2012 senior football championship title.  The Blue team from Southie got the two points but not without some concern as Christopher’s had a one goal lead heading into the final quarter of the game.  The Tones lifted themselves in the latter stages and showed signs of being worthy of the early season tag of favourites.

Gavin O' Grady on the attack for Christopher's. 

The Tones looked very good when in possession and passed the ball around well.  Plenty of running in the forward line opened up the Christopher’s rearguard on several occasions, though Noel Ryan and Chris Murphy stuck to their task well at corner back for Christopher’s.  Marty Farrell was on the mark and popped over three points, while Gary Brilly, Barry Grogan and Charles McCarthy also got on the scoreboard.  Christopher’s looked dangerous when going forward however, and when the ball got into the hands of Daithi Casey at center forward the possibilities opened up for the Hyde Park side.  The Wolfe Tones rearguard proved to be a tough barrier to overcome however, and broke up several attacks.  Pauric McGuirk is about as solid a corner back as you will see and Davy Dalton in the opposite corner caused plenty of problems for his man, Gavin O’Grady.  One such turnover caused by Dalton resulted in the Tones sweeping upfield and putting the ball between the sticks.  Christopher’s kept in touch through points from Paddy Manning, O’Grady, Eoin Gorman and Casey.  At the break it was three to the good in favour of the Tones, 0-7 to 0-4.

Gary Brilly gets the pass away for the Tones.

After the Tones added to their lead by two points after the restart, Christopher’s went on a scoring streak thanks for some impressive play in the half back line by Paudie Kenneally, as well as Shane Flanagen and Pat Delaney in the middle of the field.  O’Grady pointed twice, and Chris Brady once before Paudie Kenneally put a wonderful point over the bar from distance.  After Shane Flanagan and Brady brought the teams on level terms, it was O’Grady who fired Christopher’s into a one goal lead with a well taken goal following a great move upfield.  Thirteen minutes to go and how would the Tones react?  Michael Newman pointed twice and Farrell once to bring the teams level once again as the Tones lifted their game in response to the setback.  Christopher’s introduced Danny Kenneally for the last 10 minutes but in a twist the Tones netted within seconds of the big man’s introduction.  With an awkward ball bobbling around the corner of the small square, Barry Grogan fisted the ball into the far corner of the net over the head of the advancing Jerry Kenneally who will look back and wish he stayed on his line.  The Tones now had the initiative once more and the midfield ball fell into the hands of the blue shirts.  Farrell added another point to make it a two score game.  Christopher’s needed a goal and had to settle for a point from David Aherne as the Tones defended in depth.  Brilly added the insurance point in the dying minutes as the Tones tally another 2 points.

Tones:  R. McKeown, P. McGuirk, D. Dalton, M. O’Brien, B. Kenihan, D. McGuire, C. McCarthy, K. Lynch, G. Brilly, M. Newman, M. Farrell, C. Joyce-Power, B. Grogan.  Christopher’s:J. Kenneally, N. Ryan, C. Murphy, P. Kenneally, T. Clancy, D. Aherne, P. Delaney, S. Flanagan, C. Brady, D. Casey, P. Manning, G. O’Grady, E. Gorman.

By Rory O'Donnell

No comments: