Sunday, August 11, 2019

Sun Aug 11 - Junior A Football: Wolfe Tones v Aidan McAnespies

Wolfe Tones 1-8 Aidan McAnespies 2-8

Two second half goals, one from the spot, saw Aidan McAnespies through to the Junior A Football Final.  Great work in the defence and patience when in possession were the keys to the win.  The Tones had an extra man for the final 12 minutes or so but could not press home the advantage, and it will be a date with Donegal in next week’s final for McAnespies.

Ryan Lambe in Possession for the Tones.
It was McAnespies up by a point after 15 minutes as the game ebbed and flowed.  Dan McCabe opened the Tones account with a point from play before Michael Lynch leveled affairs.  After Cormac Joyce-Power pointed from a free, Lynch answered for McAnespies with a well finished effort.  McAnespies worked hard in the back line to block down Tones efforts and regain possession.  Midfeilder, Sean Walsh put McAnespies into the lead and was followed by Lynch with another where the Magherafelt native showed lovely skill to work the opening for himself.

The Tones netted after a turnover in the McAnespies back line.  Joyce-Power had possession inside the box and hit the waiting Dan McCabe with a pass, leaving McCabe to tuck the ball into the top corner.  McCabe followed with a point to put a goal between the sides in the run up to the break.  Some good work by the McAnespies midfield resulted in two points before the half time whistle to make it a one point advantage for the Tones at the break.

McAnespies continued to force turnovers and work the ball well with some good running and patience.  The reward was two goals and two points, the goal came from Jimmy Rigney’s boot after Sean Walsh found him through on goal with a handpass.  Walsh followed with a point himself and McAnespies were 2 points to the good.  After Marty Farrell pointed from the Tones another goal came from a great run by Cian Sharkey.  Sharkey was pulled down in the box and Walsh netted with the kick.

Conor Bogue on the Ball.
The sides traded points before a major incident that resulted in Walsh being shown a red card. A big loss for McAnespies who would have to play the final 12 minutes a man down. With 4 points between the teams it was all to play for in the run in.  McAnespies held possession well and let the minutes tick away, and the pressure built for the Tones to go for a goal.  Some chances went amiss for the Tones before Shane O’Brien pointed to make it a one goal game with 2 minutes left.  With McAnespies holding possession and tired Tones legs, the clock ticked away on the Tones. 

Macs:  Paddy Coakley, Sean Clifford, Mickey Boyle, Cian Sharkey, Gareth O’Neill, James Rigney, Sean Walsh, Cronan Dempsey, Colm O’Malley, Eoin Gormley, Conor Bogue, Gareth McAlinden, Michael Lynch.

Tones:  Patrick Gallagher, Barry McShea, KeithGill, Mike Kerr, James Farrell, Ciaran Clifford, Jim Lynch, Ian Whelan, Dylan Murtagh, Cormac Joyce-Power, Marty Farrell, Dan McCabe, Ryan Lambe.
By Rory O'Donnell

No comments: