Monday, July 14, 2008

Armagh-Notre Dame v McAnespies - July 13

McAnespie's David Donegan is Challenged Coming out of Defence

Armagh-Notre Dame 1-8 McAnespies 5-12

McAnespies came away convincing winners for the second week in a row. After 20 minutes or so the game was up for Armagh-Notre Dame, and not so much because the orchard county was outclassed, but because there were three goals conceded. Going down by three goals so early to a side like McAnespies is a death sentence. The Brighton based side competed well, and may have been behind a little on the balance of play, but certainly not to the extent that the scoreboard suggested.

McAnespies had a goal and a point up on the scoreboard within the first two minutes. Laoisman David Conway was responsible for both, the point a lovely score from a tight angle and the goal came straight afterwards, a great start for McAnespies. Armagh-Notre Dame pointed twice in response, both from Brian Downes. Johnny Laverty then pointed for McAnespies , and McStravog for Armagh-Notre Dame. Armagh-Notre Dame were holding their own at this stage, but two quick goals from practically nothing mid way though the half killed off their efforts.

For the first, Declan Lally found Conor McGourty with a lovely pass and McGourty turned his man and buried the ball. Shortly afterwards David Conway caught a high ball behind his marker and with just the keeper to best, blasted home. The scoreboard now showed McAnespies ahead by 10 points, but that was a unfortunate for Armagh-Notre Dame since they had been holding their own. Armagh heads dropped a little, and Conway and Lally each pointed before half time to ensure that Armagh-ND were going to have a very high mountain to climb should they do the unlikely and get back into it.

Derryman, Martin Donaghy, on a run to Goal for Armagh-Notre Dame.
Armagh-Notre Dame battled on the second period, and in the early stages looked like they might be making a comeback. Martin Donaghy scored a great individual goal, the Derryman won a low ball into the forward line, shook his man and goaled off the underside of the crossbar. Donaghy followed up the goal with a fine point, and things began to look like they might get interesting again. Not so, McAnespies netted twice in the middle of the second half, once through Christy Lynch, and again through Lally, who was once again in flying form. Again, the Armagh men allowed the game to get away from them. McGourty won the ball with his back to goal in the large square, and before even turning was pulled down by Armagh-ND keeper, Emmet Murphy. Lynch took the penalty and that was the end of that as the ball hit the back of the net. Galwayman, Mark Goettsche and another St. Bridgets (Dublin) clubman, Graham Norton were introduced in the second period. Goettsche pointed twice during his time on the field, and McGourty and Colm McCrory added the tally for McAnespies. Armagh-Notre Dame now have to win their remaining two games to have a chance for the senior championship playoffs.

Macs: D. Traynor, Christy Lynch (1-1),M. Stanbrook, D. Donegan, N. Kerr, A. Feeney, D. McBride, Declan Lally (1-1), Colm McCrory (0-2), Johnny Laverty (0-2), K. Cahill, David Conway (2-3), Conor McGourty (1-1). Subs Mark Goettsche (0-2), G. Norton. Armagh-ND: C. Brady, C. Gallagher, M. Dwyer, J. Taggart, A. Downes, F. Meehan, C. Keilt, B. Quinn, Brian Downes (0-2), James Keilt (0-2), Martin McStravog (0-2), Martin Donaghy (1-2), C. O’Connor.

By Rory O'Donnell

No comments: