Monday, July 21, 2008

Fr. Tom Burke's v Tipperary - July 20

Tipperary 3-14 Fr. Tom Burke’s 3-14

Tipperary and Fr. Tom’s played a tough, hard game of hurling that saw the lead change hands several times down the stretch only to end all square, the result probably being a fair reflection of the game. Neither side managed to gain an upper hand for any sustained period of time, and when one side threatened to put some distance between the teams, the other hit back with a flurry of scores in an exciting 60 minutes of hurling.
The first half had it all, plenty of great hurling, four goals, three bookings, and a rain delay. A thunderstorm blew through and the game was held up for about 10 minutes until the weather cleared. Tom’s had gotten off to the better start, taking a three points to one lead, the pick of the scores was an Owen Moran solo effort after the Round Towers man had fought hard to win the ball, pointed from 45 yards. Tipp got themselves into a one point lead before play was halted thanks to an Alan McCrabbe goal from a 14 yard free. Tipp then edged themselves into a three point lead after the restart. Gareth Sinnott, McCrabbe ,and Cronan Dempsey fired over 5 points between them while for Tom’s Noel Kelly and Joe O’Leary put three over for Tom’s. Tom’s then put themselves into the lead thanks to a Noel Kelly goal, and Ciaran Moore followed suit shortly thereafter with a second. Tom’s were looking to be gaining the upper hand, playing long, low raking passes around the field, when Tipp struck back just before half time with a flurry of scores. Center back, Francis Devanney, led the charge with a fine point McCrabbe, and Gareth Sinnott added one more each, and a goal came just before the half time whistle through McCrabbe, who was having his best outing so far in Boston, put Tipp two to the good going into the break.

Joe O'Leary (5) and Alan McCrabbe Contest a High Ball.

The second half was more of the same, with neither side managing to establish any decisivecontrol over the game. After Noel Kelly pointed for Tom’s, John McGrath netted for Tipp to extend their lead. Shortly thereafter Tom’s came charging back. A point from O’Leary was followed by a Niall Healy goal. Healy was found running through by Noel Kelly and buried the shot. Healy was through in identical fashion a minute later and this time took the point to make it all square at 3-10 each. Donal Moore and Niall Healy put Tom’s up two, and Tipp leveled. A McCrabbe free put Tipp one up, and within 2 minutes, Noel Kelly and Ciaran Moore had Tom’s one the good. And with seconds remaining McCrabbe leveled the scores for the final time with a free from about 30 yards. Tom’s earn their first point of the championship and will need the maximum from their last two games against Wexford and Galway to have any chance of making the playoffs.
Tipp: J. Howard, J. O’Sullivan, R. Hennessey, M. Jordan, F. Devaney (0-1), J. Caughlin, S. Power, G. Barry, Thomas Waters (0-1), Cronan Dempsey (0-1), Alan McCrabbe (2-7), Gareth Sinnott (0-2), John McGrath (1-1). Tom’s: D. Hession, J. Dowling, C. Dolan, D. Kennedy, Joe O’Leary (0-3), T. Mulligan, T. Kelly, D. Hardiman, Owen Moran (0-1), Ciaran Moore (1-1), Niall Healy (1-2), Noel Kelly (1-5), Donal Moore (0-2).

By Rory O'Donnell

No comments: