Sunday, June 12, 2011

June 12 - Junior A Football: Shannon Blues v Wolfe Tones

Wolfe Tones 3-9 Shannon Blues 1-2

The Tones and the Blues fielded in difficult conditions which made it hard for both teams to put together much in the way of crisp passing football. After the Blues got off to a great start with an early goal, the Tones imposed themselves on the game and ended up with a comfortable first win in the junior championship.

The Tones defence was up for anything the Blues threw at them.
Simon Sinnott got the Blues off to a great start with a goal from a high ball dropped into the Tones square within minutes of the throw-in. After Marty McGeough had put two points over for the Tones, Brendan Driscoll pointed for the Blues and it looked like we might have a game on our hands. The Tones took control from that point on however. The Tones back line had matters well in hand, Adam Munnelly, Darren Maguire, and Cliff Malone were alert to any dangerous balls played in by the Blues and several moves were built on the back of tight defending. Joey Farrell and Dara Bonfil got themselves on the scoreboard with a point each, and the Tones netted late in the half through Marty McGeough. McGeough was found with a lovely cross-field ball and finished well from a tight angle.

With the Tones ahead by a goal at the break the Blues still had it all to play for, however, their opponents stretched the lead. Shortly after the restart Bonfil and McGeough added a point each to the Tones tally. Ger Molloy was very much in the game for the Tones having dropped into the back line, while midfielders Alo McGeough and Robert O’Brien were instrumental in the Tones effort. The Blues got a good score from Kieran O’Sullivan following a well worked move, and shortly afterwards Pat Murray saved well from the inrushing Gary Leonard to keep the Tones from scoring a second goal. Conor Fitzgerald, Nicky Murray, and Simon Sinnott tried hard to turn the tide in the Blues favour, however, most ball was played forward more in hope than in finding a target inside the Tones 21. The Tones continued to link up well considering conditions. Marty McGeough capitalized on a turnover in the Blues back line with another point and late in the game the Tones goaled twice. The first came from a ball over the top that McGeough latched on to having stolen behind the defence and this time Murray was given no chance. The third goal was a little bizarre. Leonard made another run into the Blues back line and was adjudged to have been fouled while attempting to gain possession. A quick free was put into the empty net by Leonard himself and so it ended. A good win for the Tones juniors to get off the mark.

Tones: J. Joyce, A. Munnelly, C. O’Callaghan, G. Leonard, D. Maguire, C. Malone, A. McGeough, R. O’Brien, D. Bonfil, G. Molloy, M. McGeough, J. Farrell, D. Landers. Blues: P. Murray, M. Green, M. Buckley, M. Coyne, C. Fitzgerald, S. Griffin, N. Murray, M. Keegan, B. McDermott, K. Sullivan, T. Hernon, S. Sinnott, B. Driscoll.

By Rory O'Donnell

No comments: