Monday, June 20, 2011

June 19 - Senior Football: Donegal v Kerry

Kerry 1-10 Donegal 1-13

Donegal and Kerry played a very entertaining game of football in beautiful sunny conditions at the ICC in Canton. There were plenty of festival goers on hand to witness a great game of football that hung in the balance until the final minutes. The teams were evenly matched, and it was Donegal who pulled away in the final minutes with two points from Padraig McLoughlin to stay on the playoff trail.

Donegal's Brian White challenges Peter Curry.
Kerry opened the first half scoring with two points from Eanna O’Connor frees, corner forward Stephen O’Brien was fouled on both occasions. O’Brien proved to be the main dangerman for Kerry and caused numerous problems for his marker. Donegal soon worked their way into the game however, and rattled off six scores before Kerry responded. The forward line started motoring on all cylinders. Rob McCarthy, Andrew Bonner, and Jamie Doherty all pointed. Mid-way through the half a goal came for Donegal. Rob McCarthy fought his way to a ball played over the top and slotted home from close range. With things appearing to be going Donegal’s way and the game getting away from Kerry, the Kingdom found their way back into contention. O’Connor pointed twice from frees, and then Stephen O’Brien found the back of the net and Kerry were within two points. Kerry worked their way back to level pegging with a beautiful point from Sean Fogerty followed by another from fellow midfielder, Peter Curry. An entertaining first half concluded with Brian White and Eanna O’Connor trading points to close the period at 1-7 each.

Kerry's Stephen O'Brien works the ball across goal.
The game went to and fro for the first fifteen minutes of the second half with both teams playing some good, tight football. The scoreboard reflected the balance of play with the sides remaining on level terms. Kerry opened with a well worked point, the ball making it’s way from Ian Whelan, to Kieran Moore, and finished by Eanna O’Connor. Peter Curry followed with another. Donegal answered with scores from Brian White and Rob McCarthy as the game hung in the balance. Kerry almost netted through O’Brien, the corner forward was found with a long ball from Fogerty and turned outside his man, but the shot hit the outside of the post and trundled wide. Donegal then had claims for a penalty after Collie Carr appeared to be brought down in the area, but it was not given as a fair challenge was the verdict by the referee. After O’Connor and McCarthy traded scores, Donegal eventually broke the deadlock. It must be noted that Kerry substituted O’Brien with about 10 minutes to go, and failed to register a score following the change. Pauric McLoughlin put the winning point over the bar, and followed with another great score after some great work in the Donegal back line. Mcloughlin made a 30 yard run and finished with a well taken score. Rob McCarthy iced the win with a pointed free and Donegal are back on track for the playoffs.

Kerry: P. Bailey, M. Griffin, D. O’Sullivan, M. Godley, T. Dennehy, K. Moore, S. Fogerty (0-1), P. Curry (0-2), P. Doyle, E. O’Connor (0-7), M. Folan, I. Whelan, S. O’Brien (1-0). Donegal: L. Mailey, H. Devine, M. Canning, T. Cladwell, E. Doonan, C. Carr, B. White (0-2), M. McGinty, A. Bonner (0-1), E. Sheehy, P. McLoughlin (0-2), R. McCarthy (1-6), J. Doherty (0-2).

By Rory O'Donnell

No comments: