Sunday, June 12, 2011

June 12 - Senior Football: Aidan McAnespies v Christopher's

Christopher’s 1-7 Aidan McAnespies 1-9

Aidan McAnespies prevailed over Christopher’s in an exciting senior football contest. Conditions were cold and overcast, with a greasy surface not making things easy. Having gone in at the break trailing by four points, McAnespies put their stamp on the game in the second half and held Christopher’s scoreless for most of the period.

Aidan McAnespies are the last team with a hundred percent record with their win over Christopher's.
A great first half of football considering the difficult conditions, though McAnespies will have been disappointed with the number of wides kicked from good positions. The sides traded scores to open matters. Mark Little fisted over for McAnespies and Eric Hegarty answered with a point from play. After Shane Beston put Christopher’s ahead, Sean Hughes came up from the half back line to level it again. Hegarty and Beston put two points together to open a lead for Christopher’s and in the early going it looked as if a long day could be in store for the McAnespies back line as Christopher’s forwards looked rampant. As the game wore on however, McAnespies looked to have an advantage picking up possession in the middle of the field and on two occasions were through with chances at goal. Sean Cournane’s shot was deflected over the bar and Paul O’Dongohue’s a few minutes later was deflected for a 45. In spite of enjoying most of the possession McAnespies kicked several wides. Christopher’s hit with a goal on 22 minutes. Colm O’Driscoll found Aidan Walsh coming in and the wing back finished low and into the corner from inside the 14. Some niggle crept into the latter stages of the half as affairs threatened to get out of hand. McAnespies’ Sean Hughes was booked for an off the ball shoulder and the referee was called upon to prevent matters getting out of hand. The half ended with Colm O’Driscoll and Plunkett Kane trading points. Christopher’s led by 1-5 to 0-4 at the break.

Within 15 minutes of the restart McAnespies had the scores level. Contesting well in the middle of the field and in defence, McAnespies gradually ate into the Christopher’s lead. Sean Cournane converted the first two points, Niall Gallen the third and Mark Little leveled affairs. Christopher’s struggled to get any decent ball into the forwards, and eventually left Eric Hegarty alone to try to exploit the space inside the 21 yard line. Martin Bogue, however, was up to the challenge when the ball came in and Christopher’s did not meet with much success in that regard. Having looked so threatening in the first half, the Christopher’s forwards were very quiet in the second. With Christopher’s stuck inside their own half for much of the second period, McAnespies cut through their defences time and again but could not convert the decisive score. Philip Toner almost found the back of the net but his first time fisted effort on the run hit the post. The go ahead score finally came from a Colm McCrory free with minutes left on the clock. McCrory put an insurance score away with a goal from a move almost identical to the one from which Toner almost netted, but McCrory’s first time touch was over the advancing keeper’s head and into the back of the net. Christopher’s first scores of the second half came within the last five minutes. Shane Beston and Paudie Kenneally pointed when a goal was required as Christopher’s failure to score for 25 minutes of the second half cost them. A hard won game for McAnespies who are now 2 for 2. Plenty of football yet to play.

Christopher’s: S. Kelly, N. Ryan, E. O’Neill, S. McNally, A. Greaney, A. Walsh (1-0), D. Kenneally, K. O’Driscoll, C. O’Driscoll (0-1), P. Delaney, S. Beston (0-3), P. Kenneally (0-1), E. Hegarty (0-2). Macs: C. Kendrick, M. Bogue, A. McAnespie, S. Hughes (0-1), N. Kerr, N. Gallen (0-1), P. Kane, R. Bracken, P. Toner, C. McCrory (1-1), S. Cournane (0-3), P. O’Donoghue, M. Little (0-2).

By Rory O'Donnell

No comments: