Monday, August 15, 2011

August 13 - Senior Hurling: Wexford v Tipperary

Tipperary 3-15 Wexford 2-9

Tipperary pulled off somewhat of a surprise victory over Wexford on Saturday. Tipp limited Wexford to just two points in the first half of the game, and tallied a goal and nine points in their row of the scoreboard. Tipp wing forward, Emmet Kent, himself a Wexford U-21 player, tore into the Wexford defence and Tipp ran away nine point winners in the end.

Paddy Fanning for Tipp.
Wexford did themselves no favours in the first half by hitting many shots well wide of the mark. The first score for the Slaneymen did not come until the game was 18 minutes old. At one stage Tony Murphy had a great chance at a goal, but Sean Delaney pulled off a fine save. Tipp opened the game with a goal from Paul McGrath. Walter Walsh bulled into the penalty area and after a deflection the ball popped to the waiting McGrath who finished in style. Tipp were keeping things ticking over with points from Kent, Brian Hartnett, and Mark Flaherty. Cathal Kenny got the Wexford men’s first score of the game, but unfortunately for Wexford it did not kick start the machine. Kent put two frees over the bar, and after a rare accurate shot from Andrew Shore for Wexford, Tipp finished the half with four points on the trot.

Stephen White on the attack for Wexford.
Wexford opened the second half strongly. After hitting two points Shore buried a 21-yard free in the back of the net and Wexford had reason to be optimistic. It did not pan out for the Brighton men however. From the puckout Eoin Hayes made a dashing run and when in range let fly. Griffey got the bas to the ball but could only deflect it into the net. After three more Tipp scores Wexford staged a last gasp effort at coming back and strung four points together. That only brought them within seven points with time left on the clock. Tipp put the issue to rest however with a third goal from Lambert. All that was left was for Kenny to put a late consolation goal away for Wexford. The result puts Tipp and Wexford on level points at the top of the table. A draw will be made to decide who advances to the final and who must contest what will likely be a tough semi-final with either Galway or Fr. Tom Burke’s.

Tipp: S. Delaney, J. Fitzpatrick, J. Kindregan, A. McRedmond, C. Leahy, B. Howley, E. Hayes (1-0), P. Fanning, E. Kent (0-10), W. Walsh, P. McGrath (1-0), M. Flaherty (0-2), B. Hartnett (0-1). Subs: S. Lambert (1-0), Dara O’Connell (0-1). Wexford: G. Griffey, G. Dunphy, G. Callnan, S. White, J. Lyng, B. Dalton, M. Molloy, G. O’Connor, B. Dowling (0-2), A. Shore (1-3), J. Hetherton, T. Murphy, C. Kenny (1-1). Sub: G. Molloy (0-1), S. Corcoran (0-1).

By Rory O'Donnell

No comments: