Monday, August 1, 2011

Sunday July 31 - Senior Football: Mayo v Christopher's

Christopher’s 4-12 Mayo 1-9

There was a lot at stake for Christopher’s and Mayo in the first senior football game of the day. The winners would have a good chance to be in, and the losers more or less out of the senior championship playoff picture. As it turned out Christopher’s put the game away with a decisive first half performance. Mayo came storming back in the second and went a long way to restoring some pride, but it was a case of too little too late as they had given themselves too much to do.

Mayo's Lewis Cawley and Christopher's Noel Ryan tussle.
Mayo began the game brightly with Peter O’Hanlon very much involved in the good things going on for the boys from the west. Lewis Cawley and Aidan Walsh put Mayo ahead with first two points of the game. Once Christopher’s got into the game however it was all over for the Mayomen. Pat Delaney pointed for Christopher’s five minutes into the game and Colm O’Driscoll leveled the scores. Christopher’s began to get into gear and some slick passing out of the back line led to a deluge of scores. Aidan Walsh, who was playing in midfield for Christopher’s, pointed twice, Eric Hegarty put a free over the bar, and Kevin O’Driscoll also opened up the gap between the teams. Shane Beston sneaked the ball into the corner of the net and it looked curtains for Mayo. Two more goals followed from Colm O’Driscoll and Eric Hegarty. Mayo continued to work to generate chances and did but the kicking was poor and the westerners clocked up more wides than they would want to. Mayo’s Aidan Walsh ended up tallying Mayo’s third score before half time. The sides took the break with the game looking like it was more or less in the bag for Christopher’s who led by 4-9 to 0-3..

Mayo's Peter O'Hanlon picks up as Eoin O'Neill closes in.
Mayo lined out to start the second half with Jack McDonnell at corner forward, and what a turnaround from the first half it was. Mayo opened the half with six points on the trot as Christopher’s sauntered through the early stages after the restart. Aidan Walsh got things going for Mayo with a point and McDonnell then pointed three times on the trot as things opened up for the Mayo forward line. Gerve Toner almost brought Mayo back into the game in a big way as he stole in behind the defence and was found with a lovely ball from Danny Kirby. Toner had the keeper to beat, but his shot came back off the crossbar. A let off to be sure for Christopher’s as a goal for Mayo at that stage would have put them right back in the picture. Christopher’s got themselves back into their first half rhythm with and but for two tremendous saves from Alex Townsend could have added more to the goals column. Points did come from Kevin O’Droiscoll, Hegarty, and Paudie Kenneally. At the other end Stephen Kelly made a couple of good saves but Mayo finally made the breakthrough with a goal at the very end to salvage some pride. Intermediate final for Mayo, a date with the Wolfe Tones for Christopher’s two weeks from now.

Christopher’s: S. Kelly, N. Ryan, S. McNally, P. Kenneally (0-1), E. O’Neill, R. Holmes, A. Walsh (0-2), K. O’Driscoll (0-1), J. Kenneally, C. O’Driscoll (1-2), P. Delaney (0-1), S. Beston (1-3), E. Hegarty (2-2). Mayo: A. Townsend, S. Clifford, B. McShea, B. Cassidy, K. Comer, M. Carlon, D. Kirby, P. O’Hanlon, G. Toner, A. Walsh (0-3), P. O’Donoghue, D. McLoughlin (0-1), L. Cawley (0-1). Sub: J. McDonnell (0-4), P. Dooney (1-0).

By Rory O'Donnell

No comments: