Monday, August 1, 2011

Sunday July 31 - Senior Hurling: Galway v Wexford

Galway 2-17 Wexford 0-20

Galway finally broke their 2011 duck and won their first game in sensational fashion. It was a tense, exciting game as the ball moved quickly up and down the field and the lead changed hands on several occasions. Galway looked in danger of continuing their winless streak with less then 10 minutes to go as Wexford looked to be in the familiar position of controlling the game, but the tribesmen battled hard and a goal with seven minutes to go provided the drive to continue on and win the game.

Fintan O'Leary breaks away for Galway.
Galway opened the game in similar style to their last outing, with a goal in the first sequence of play from Stephen Brown who lined out at corner forward. Wexford began to play well, with Brian Dalton in flying form on the wing and Stephen White solid at center back. Tom Moloney, Dowling, and Andrew Shore quickly canceled out Galway’s goal with some well taken points. Wexford continued to enjoy the upper hand and Galway searched for answers. Some substitutions made early in the game appeared to change Galway’s fortunes for the better. Keith Killilea and Darragh Murray entered the fray in midfield and on the half forward line. Galway’s forwards began to find their range. Eoin Guinan, John Moylan, and Killilea got Galway back into the game and at the break the tribesmen led by a point, 1-8 to 0-10.

John Moylan in possession as Keith Killilea looks on.
The second half was a tremendously exciting affair with no more than a score between the sides at any stage. After Eoin Guinan put Galway two points up, Wexford drew level through the ever dangerous Dowling and Shore. The sides traded points and then the lead changed hands with two booming Andrew Shore points from half way line. Cathal Kenny followed with a point and Wexford looked like they might have won control of the game and pull away. Galway were desperate for the win and kept pushing on the door and eventually it opened. Fintan O’Leary pointed and with about seven minutes left, Killilea got on the end of a long Killian Murphy clearance to blast the ball past Ger Griffey in the Wexford goal and Galway were on top by a point. Galway were not out of the woods as there were still seven minutes to go, but the westerners followed with two points to lead by a goal. Each point that went over the bar in Galway’s favour was greeted with the loud cheers of the many Galway supporters who appeared to be in the majority. Wexford tried to regain the initiative, but Galway’s tails were up and by that stage Wexford could not match their intensity. Scenes of joy from Galway at the end to to finally win a game. The win puts Galway and Tipperary on level footing in the table, though Tipp have two more games to play to one for Galway.

Galway: D. Kilmartin, M. Malone, K. Murphy, C. Woods, A. Brennan, E. O’Mahoney, N. McCree, S. Lennane, P. Guinan, F. O’Leary (0-4), E. Guinan (0-8), J. Moylan (0-3), S. Brown (1-1). Sub: K. Killilea (1-1) Wexford: G. Griffey, D. Redmond, J. Lyng, B. Dalton (0-1), S. White (0-2), G. Callnan, M. Molloy (0-1), T. Moloney (0-1), B. Dowling (0-4), A. Shore (0-5), G. O’Connor, T. Murphy, C. Kenny (0-5). Sub: J. Hetherton (0-1).

By Rory O'Donnell

No comments: