Monday, May 28, 2012

Senior Football: Connemara Gaels v Mayo

Galway 0-10 Kerry 0-10

Galway and Kerry played out an entertaining draw to end the day’s action at the ICC in Canton.  For much of the game it looked as if Kerry would take both points as the Kingdom had the edge over Galway when moving the ball forward and won most of the possession.  Galway dug deep in the final minutes and two late points salvaged a draw to get them off the mark with two games played.

Galway's Tom Walsh rises highest for this ball.
Galway had the better of the early going and went into a four points to no score lead.  Peter Nolan opened the account after a lovely cross-field ball from Eoghan Kavanagh.  Jamie Keogh followed with a superbly taken score, and followed with a second to put Galway into a three-point lead and Kerry yet to score.  Kerry got their act together however.  Ian Whelan and Ian Somers began to win more midfield ball and supply the forward line.  Whelan got Kerry off the mark while Padraig Doyle added a second.  With Kerry in the ascendancy they pulled ahead, and could have had a goal at one point.  Robbie O’Hanlon was through and fired low, but the ball carried just over the bar.  Galway moved Tom Walsh from corner forward to center forward in an effort to win more ball, and Peter Nolan ended the half with a point to make it Kerry 0-7 to 0-5 for Galway.

Kerry's Donnacha Fenton shoots.

Galway started the second half well with a Jamie Kehoe pointed free.  Kehoe was pretty much it for Galway up front, though Tom Maoloney almost netted early in the second half, but his angled shot came off the crossbar.  Galway tried to turn the tide in their favour, but Kerry proved to be a stubborn opponent and refused to be overtaken.  Shane O’Neill matched Kehoe’s point, and O’Hanlon pointed twice to one point from Kehoe to keep Kerry’s noses ahead.  Galway did not do themselves any favours, and on a number of occasions what appeared to be the beginning of a promising move ended up the ball getting turned over to Kerry hands.  Galway almost had a goal chance as Tom Walsh found himself running through, but was bundled down just outside the box.  Jamie Kehoe miskicked the free and yet another chance went awry.  Galway dug deep with the time running out and leveled the scores thanks to two hard won points.  The first came from a move that began with Gerry Bannon at corner ball and was finished by Tom Walsh.  The second came from a Kehoe free after Peter Nolan was fouled and it was all square with minutes left on the clock.  Each side had their chance to win both points, but Whelan kicked wide for Kerry and for Galway Kehoe tried to pull on the ball from just out side the box but his shot went off a defender and out.  With that the final whistle sounded and the sides had to be happy with sharing the points, which was a fair result in the end.

Galway:  P. McComiskey, G. Bannon, R. Vickers, JJ O’Neill, S. Gallagher, P. Cummins, T. Walsh, E. Kavanagh, T. Maloney, P. Nolan, O. Doherty, J. Kehoe, T. Walsh.  Kerry:  S. O’Leary, M. Godley, G. O’Ciamhan, J. Dooley, K. O’Connor, R. Coyne, I. Whelan, I. Somers, P. Doyle, M. McCarthy, D. Fenton, S. O’Neill, R. O’Hanlon.

By Rory O'Donnell

No comments: