Sunday, May 13, 2012

Sheehan Cup: Tipperary v Fr. Tom Burke's

Tipperary 1-5 Fr. Tom Burke’s 0-8

The hottest day of the young season saw Tipperary and Fr. Tom Burke’s do battle in the second game of the Sheehan Cup.  Similar to last week, Tom’s got off to the better start, but Tipp pulled themselves back into the game and salvaged a draw.  Tipp may be disappointed not to have recorded a victory, especially since they had played most of the second half with a two man advantage.  Tom’s lost Paul McGrath and Ciaran Moore to sendings off.  The first for an off the ball shoulder in the back and the second for a pull across the ankles.

Cormac Joyce-Power clears for Tom's.

Tom’s had the better of things in the first half, though by no means were lording it over their opponents.  James Dooley was involved early, the man from Athenry opened the scoring and then set up the second for Cathal Egan.  Seamie Higgins followed with a free.   Tom’s were playing well from the back line and looked to be a class above Tipp early on.  After Ciaran Moore made it four points to the good for Tom’s Tipp woke up a little and started to get into the game.  After 17 minutes John Roche put a free over the bar to record the first score of the game for the Premier men.  Just before the break Tipp added another to make it a 0-4 to 0-2 game at the break.

Tipp wing back Aidan Callnan
fires the ball down the line.
The wheels fell off the wagon somewhat for Tom’s in the second half.  After the westerners added two points to their tally, Sean Moriarty showed his skills with the stick and the Kerryman put a lovely point over the bar for Tipp following a run down the wing.  Then disaster struck.  Paul McGrath was shown a red card for his off the ball indiscretion, and right after play restarted, Ciaran Moore was also sent to the line after a dangerous pull.  Tipp now had the opening to snatch a win.  John Roche and Egan traded scores as Tom’s played with three forwards, and the backs stuck to their task well.  Tipp eventually created the opening however, Moriarty and Colm McCrory got the ball across to Roche who turned and put the ball into the roof of the net.  Tipp were now a point to the good, but Tom’s leveled affairs with an Egan point.  With the final whistle, Tom’s find themselves sitting on two draws, while the winner of next game between Tipp and Wexford, if there is a winner, will be top of the Sheehan Cup table with two games played for each team.

Tipp:  S. Delaney, J. Kindregan, D. O’Brien, A. McRedmond, M. Jordan, A. Callnan, C. Dempsey, N. O’Grady, J. Roche, C. Wallace, S. Moriarty, J. McGrath, B. O’Regan.  Tom’s:  D. Fox, S. O’Brien, J. Doran, P. Heneghan, C. Joyce-Power, D. Moore, P. McGrath, J. Dooley, L. Gunian, S. Higgins, S. Howley, C. Moore, C. Egan.

By Rory O'Donnell

No comments: