Tuesday, August 13, 2013

August 11 - Senior Football: Connemara Gaels v Kerry

Connemara Gaels 2-14 Kerry 2-9

The Connemara Gaels advanced to the semi-final of the senior football championship with a convincing win over Kerry.  The Gaels were on top in most areas of the field throughout and looked to be well on their way after Ian Burke netted 11 minutes into the second half.  The Cullen twins did well at corner back to hold Darragh O'Brien and Shane O'Callaghan to a handful of scores from play.  The Gaels face a different prospect in Christopher's next Sunday  in the semi final.

Shane O'Callaghan with Lee Cullen in pursuit....
The Gaels largely dominated the first 30 minutes of play and went in at the break 5 points to the good.  The only real blemish on the back line was an early Darragh O'Brien goal that was well worked and well taken.  O'Brien was played in with a lovely ball over the top and finished well.  The Gaels answered in style with six points on he trot before Coleman Mulkerrins netted a fine goal to put the Gaels in the drivers seat.  Traffic was virtually one way now as the Gaels dominated the midfield stakes, and snuffed out the Kerry attacks.  Kerry managed points from David Larkin and O'Brien before half time, and at the break it was a 1-9 to 1-4 Gaels advantage.

...Cullen this time with O'Callaghan giving chase.
Kerry got the first score of the second half through Darren Clabby.  The next 4 scores came from the Gaels as the Connemara men cemented their dominance and a Kerry turnaround looked increasingly unlikely.  Graham and Burke pointed from frees, before Mulkerrins added another point and Burke a goal with 10 minutes gone of the restart.  With the goal the Gaels went 10 points into the lead and the outcome looked increasingly inevitable.  Kerry put some pressure on the Gaels defence in the final quarter and forced Eoin Connolly into a couple of good saves.  Ronan Kennedy who entered as a sub almost netted, but his shot flew narrowly over the crossbar.  O'Brien, Colm Schwer, and Darren Clabby pointed as full time approached, but the hole was too big for points to dig Kerry out. A couple of goals were needed at that stage.  The Kingdom won a penalty in injury time and O'Brien netted to improve the look of the score, but it was the end of the road for Kerry and the Gaels move on to the semi-final.

Kerry:  P. Bailey, S. Driscoll, D. Larkin (0-1), M. Godley, B. Kelliher, E. Mullen, S. Cunningham, I. Whelan, C. Schwer (0-1), D. Clabby (0-2), J. Fitzpatrick, S. O'Callaghan, D. O'Brien (1-4).  Sub: R. Kennedy (0-1).  Gaels:  E. Connolly, L. Cullen, C. Cullen, S. Conneely (0-1), R. Kiely, D. Doolan, R. Hyde, D. Comer (0-1), M. Lundy, N. Graham (0-3), D. Hogan (0-1), I. Burke (1-5), C. Mulkerrins (1-3).

By Rory O'Donnell

No comments: