Monday, August 26, 2013

Senior Hurling Final: Tipperary v Galway

Tipperary 2-19 Galway 3-13

The Victorious Tipperary Senior Hurlers
Tipperary captured the senior hurling title with a fine display in the second half to win the Boston senior hurling championship for the first time since 2010.  Led by Denis Maher at center forward and with some great play from corner backs Robert O'Donnell and David Buckley, Tipperary pulled away in the later stages of the game with a goal from John Roche and points from Kevin Kelly and Neil Foyle.  A late goal from Galway gave the westerners some hope, but there was little time left for a second and Tipp held out for the last few minutes to record a great win having called up a number of players from the junior team.

The first half was evenly contested with a goal for either side.  Robert Bresnehan netted for Galway shortly after the throw-in, but Tipp soon were back on level terms with points from Kieran Morris, Dennis Maher and Morris again.  Kevin Kelly netted for Tipperary about 10 minutes into the game but such was the to and fro nature of the game that Galway came right back with a fine point from Sean Curran.  The Tipperary corner backs were having an excellent 30 minutes, Robert O'Donnell and David Buckley were out first to several balls into the danger zone, but for a time the clearances fell on barren ground with the Tipp forwards not getting much out of the Galway back line.  Galway put a string of points together from Richie Reid (who could have had a goal), Reid again, and two great scores from Stephen Brown as Tipp turned the ball over in the middle of the field.  Then it was Tipp's turn to tip the scales in their favour.  O'Donnell burst out from defence after winning a ball and drove it over the bar, and Morris pointed three times (2 frees) to put Tipp one to the good.  Before the break the sides traded points and it was all to play for heading into the second half, 1-9 to 1-10 in Tipp's favour.

The key score came mid way through the second half when Tipperary extended their lead to 5 points after a John Roche goal.  Paul Connors had saved well from Denis Maher's initial shot, but Roche was waiting for the rebound and put the ball away.  Tipp were leading by 2 points at the time as things clicked in the scoring end of the field for them in the second period.  Morris kept the scoreboard ticking over from the frees, and Neil Foyle scored a lovely point after Maher found him with the lightest of measured passes.  Galway kept in it thanks to a goal from Robert Bresnehan who got the final touch on a high ball that broke in the box, but Galway's effort appeared to be waning.  The sides exchanged points, then came the Roche goal.  Tipp added 3 points to one for Galway to open the gap to 6 points with 2 minutes left.  Galway gave themselves hope after Bresnehan netted from inside the 14, but time was the enemy of the tribesmen.  With the final whistle it was jubilant celebrations for Tipperary and disappointment for Galway for the second year in a row. 

Referee:  Pat Casey (Waterford)

Man of the Match:  Denis Maher (Tipperary)

Tipp:  J. Logue, D. Buckley, R. O'Donnell (0-1), J. Prendergast, A. McRedmond, S. McGarr, C. Dempsey, S. Moriarty, K. Kelly (1-2), D. Maher (0-1), K. Morris (0-13, 7F), J. Roche (1-1), N. Foyle (0-2).  Galway:  P. Connors, J. Fennelly, C. Murphy, R. Bergin (0-1), P. Gahan, JJ Doyle, R. Reid (0-6), S. Curran (0-1), P. Lupton (0-1), P. Ivors, S. Brown (0-4), J. Moylan, R. Bresnehan (3-0).

By Rory O'Donnell

No comments: