Monday, August 11, 2014

Aidan McAnespies 1-15 Wolfe Tones 1-12

Aidan McAnespies took advantage of an injury time reprieve to force extra time and advance to the junior A football semi-final.  Wolfe Tones will regret a plethora of missed chances when they held an edge on the balance of play in normal time, while McAnespies took full advantage.  An early goal and three points at start of the added period put the game away for McAnespies.

Jonathan Carroll and Neil Donaghy battle in midfield.
McAnespies got off to the better start.  Aaron McKenna and Paul Daly put a point over each.  The Tones had their early opportunities, but on two or three occasions the finishing effort was wayward.  McKenna and McAlinden added to the lead as the Tones frustration with their inability to tally a score grew. 

In terms of possession it was quite even.  Both sets of backs absorbed pressure well, the McAnespies defenders probably had a little bit more to do, and they did it effectively.  Eventually Sean Kelly and Lee Clarke converted for the Tones, but the shooting continued to let them down.  McKenna and Shane Lynn cancelled out the inroads that the Tones had made on the scoreboard.  At the break it was a six points to three lead for McAnespies.

Enda Hamill chased by Darren McGuire.
The first four scores of the second half came from the Tones.  One was a beautiful curling effort from Joyce-Power.  Things appeared to be shifting in favour of the Tones with Jonathan Carroll and Pa Collins getting a foothold in midfield while Darren and Sean McGuire attacked from the half back line.  Each time the Tones edged ahead, however, McAnespies managed to pull level.  There were goal chances at either end.  Lee Clarke skidded a shot wide of the far post at one end and at the other, substitute Jimmy Flynn hit the outside of the post. 

Gavin Walsh edged the Tones ahead with a well taken score, but the Southie boys missed a several good chances to open a gap.  A free for McAnespies leveled the scores with a minute left, but Walsh provided the Tones with that one point edge following the kickout.  Four minutes into injury time Ryan McCrystal took advantage of a last chance ‘45 and sent the game into extra time.

Extra time belonged to McAnespies.  McKenna fisted a deflected shot into the net and set the tone for the remaining 20 minutes.  After a Paul Daly run McAlinden pointed, and the score was followed by McKenna and Hamill points.  The work was done in the first 5 minutes.  McAnespies controlled the game from then on as the Tones had no choice but to go for goal.  A late goal by Ger Molloy proved too late and McAnespies advance to meet Donegal in next week’s semi-final.

Macs:  N. Duffy, B. Smith, A. Kellet, R. McCrystal, M. Bogue, P. Daly, S. Lynn, N. Donaghy, O. McNulty, O. McCusker, E. Hamill, G. McAlinden, A. McKenna.  Tones:  P. Miskell, K. Gill, M. McNamara, K. Goram, D. McGuire, S. McGuire, J. Carroll, P. Collins, E. Carr, W. Milner, L. Clarke, C. Joyce-Power, S. Kelly.

By Rory O'Donnell

No comments: