Sunday, August 24, 2014

Junior A Hurling Final: Wexford v Fr. Tom Burke's

Fr. Tom Burke’s 3-10 Wexford 1-21

Wexford Captain Peter Nolan accepts the Cup for the
third time in a row.
It was excitement all the way in the junior A hurling final with Tom’s twice coming from behind to level the scores.  Tom’s forced extra time after Chris O’Donoghue netted in the final minute of normal time for Tom’s to tie the game.  Wexford came through the extra period after Tom’s had fallen behind and leveled the scores a second time with a Fran Keenan goal.  Wexford’s Colm Kerins netted from close range with minutes left to finally finish Tom’s off, Wexford win three out of four junior titles for the Slaneysiders.

It was all square at the break.  Tom’s got off to the faster start with Fran Keenan hitting the mark from distance on four occasions.  Colm Kerins accounted for the lone Wexford score over the first quarter of the game.  With James McDonnell in the middle of the field and Seanie O’Brien at center back playing well, things were going Tom’s way.  Ciaran Moore almost netted mid way through the half, but the ball skidded wide of the far post.  Wexford, however, came to terms with the game and towards the end of the half tied things up.  Dave Power contributed 2 frees and Colm Kerins a fine score from a tight angle to make it five each when the half time whistle sounded.

The second half was as tight as the first.  Each side made some changes to try and gain an edge.  John Cuddy came in for Tom’s, while Wexford introduced Tommy Walsh to great effect.  After matching each other for three points a piece, Tom’s netted.  Chris O’Donoghue found Ciaran Moore who sidestepped the keeper and finished into the empty net.  Keenan followed up with a free and Tom’s led by four.  Wexford answered with six in a row to take a three point lead with ten minutes left.  Walsh, who was very effective, and Paddy Breen each pointed, as did John Joe O’Neill, Kerins and three from Power.  With three pointes between the sides, Tom’s forced extra time with a fantastic goal from O’Donoghue.  Keenan blocked a clearance to win the ball and his cross found the wing forward who fired home from the corner of the penalty box.  Wexford had one chance to win it with a Power free from outside the 45, but the ball drifted wide and extra time was required.
Wexford Junior A Hurling Champions
Wexford established a three point lead in the first period of extra time.  Two well taken Tommy Walsh points and one from Colm Kerins had the Slaneysiders a goal to the good heading into the second ten minute period.  After Walsh had put Wexford four to the good, Keenan leveled the scores with a goal and a pointed free to bring Tom’s back on level terms with four minutes left.  Wexford pulled it out in the final minutes with a Breen point followed by a Kerins goal.  A Greg Lundy clearance was picked up by the corner forward who fired home from close range.  Two in a row for Wexford who will be looking to add a second NACB title to the list of honors next weekend. 

On a final note, best wishes to Peter Nolan and Caroline Hanley on their return to Ireland after many years of service to the GAA in Boston.
Tom’s:  Dermot Fox, Larry Guinan, Terry Doran, Chris Horan, Seanie O’Brien, Liam Keane, Barry Smith, James McDonnell, Gary Kelly, Eanna Burke, Chris O’Donoghue, Fran Keenan, Ciaran Moore.  Wexford:  Martin O’Connor, Peter Nolan, Denis Brennan, JJ O’Neill, Dominic Magill, Brian Dalton, Greg Lundy, Patrick Breen, iall Moloney, Gary McGovern, Gearoid O’Connor, Colm Kerins, David Power.
By Rory O'Donnell

No comments: