Monday, June 4, 2018

Senior Football Championship - Galway v Aidan McAnespies

Aidan McAnespies 3-13 Galway 0-7

Aidan McAnespies earned two points with a win over Galway to open the senior football championship last Sunday at the ICC.  It was a close run affair in the opening 30 minutes, and Galway could have held the lead at the break but for 2 missed goal chances.  It was McAnespies who held the lead at the break, and in the second half broke the game open with 3 goals.  Philip McCusker proved a very effective target at corner forward for McAnespies, who mixed up their approach and ran the ball well when needed, however, each team will need to brush up on the finishing if they are to make a mark in the 2018 championship.

Peter Codd shoots for Galway.
The opening half saw McAnespies take a 2 point lead into the break.  Some pinpoint marksmanship from Robbie Croft, and the aforementioned McCusker at corner forward were key for McAnespies.  Galway suffered a massive blow after corner forward, Kevin Cummins, had to leave the field with an ankle injury.  Cummins is one of the best home based forwards in town and Galway will be praying for a quick return.  The westerners twice found themselves with goal chances, but on each occasion the opportunity went awry.  It was neck and neck for most of the half and with Galway matching their opponents, but towards the end it was McAnespies with 2 points on the trot to open a gap.

Jamie Keogh braces for the tackle from Marty Bogue.
After the teams traded points to open the second half McAnespies hit with a goal.  After some good work down the wing by Jake Foster the ball made its way across the goal to the waiting Croft who only had to palm it into the empty net.  Galway worked hard with Ronan Patterson and Alan Egan in midfield, but the McAnespies back line did its job and the northerners countered well.  Croft was to be found all over the field in a free roving role, a tactic that worked well for McAnespies last year.  One counter attack resulted in a pointed free as Galway were forced into fouling, and another in a penalty that Croft cheekily chipped into the net a la Andrea Pirlo.  There were turnovers at either end as play moved up and down the field, but it was McAnespies that made the most of their chances.   Keeper, Anthony Kidney, came out to take a long range free and the Corkman split the posts from 65 yards.  A third goal came from Lorcan Mallon to put the matter to rest, and the Pat O’Brien Cup champions get off to a good start to the championship with a win.

Galway:  James Kelly, Paddy Naughton, Stuart Cullen, Rom Davey, Declan Walsh, Thomas Greene, Alan Egan, Ronan Patterson, Jamie Kehoe, Ray Conneeley, Peter Codd, Kevin Cummins, Kieran Gallagher.

McAnespies:  Anthony Kidney, Eoin Delmer, Caolan Harvey, Sean Cochrane, Robert Pigott, Paul Clifford, Seamus Breslin, Declan Hughes, Jake Foster, Che O’Donnell, Lorcan Mallon, Robbie Croft, Philip McCusker.
By Rory O'Donnell

No comments: