Monday, June 18, 2018

Senior Hurling: Fr. Tom Burke's v Galway

Galway 4-17 Fr. Tom Burke’s 3-18

In their first outing of the season Galway’s powerful looking forward line delivered the goods against Fr. Tom’s in an open, free flowing game of hurling Sunday afternoon.  Conditions were perfect for hurling, dry and fast with a slight breeze.  Aidan Helebert at center forward was essential for the tribesmen, and 2 second half goals from Waterford man, Jack Lyons ended up delivering the goods.

Enda Feeney in possession for Galway.
At the break Galway led by the slenderest of margins.  It was free flowing, open hurling with some well taken scores.  Aidan Heleburt at center forward tallied 5 of Galway’s total.  The man from Gort played a major role in the Galway effort.  There was plenty of support from other quarters.  Oisin Donnellan at wing forward contributed with a fine point from play, while Adam Kenny and Enda Feeney assisted a great goal that was doubled on by Jack Lyons to cancel out a Stiofan McMahon goal for Tom’s.  In the early going it was Ali Dooey who caught the eye for Tom’s.  Looking dangerous at corner forward, the Dunloy, Co. Antrim man flashed 3 points over the bar inside the opening 10 minutes.  Lyons netted for Galway in the early going, and the teams batted back and forth, with neither side managing to get an advantage.  Shane Howley was involved at wing forward for Tom’s and contributed to a number of scores, taking 2 for himself.  With Galway having opened a 4 point gap coming up to half time, Dooey buried a fantastic goal to bring Tom’s back into it.  Galway’s Helebert pointed twice from frees and Dean Flood once for Tom’s to make it a 2-10 to 2-11 Galway advantage at the break.

Frank McCormack with a hold of John Buckley's shirt.
The second half saw Galway edge into a lead, and Tom’s spent the 30 minutes trying to eat into it.  After Flood and Stiofan McMahon had put Tom’s into a one point lead, three on the trot from Galway pulled back the initiative.  Lyons, Kenny and Helebert each pointed and Galway would never trail in the game again.  The pace slowed a little from the first half, and defences tightened up a little – scores were less free flowing as in the preceding period.  The sides were level again mid-way through the half and we were into the final quarter where it was anybody’s game.  With 10 minutes to go Galway netted through Jack Lyons, and shortly after another goal came from the same corner as the Ballyduff man took advantage of the space.  The lights dimmed for Tom’s as the Galway lead grew as time was ticking away.  A Howley goal came too late for Tom’s as it was the final puck of the game.  A win for Galway to get off the mark.   

Galway:  John Coleman, Trevor Lee, John Moylan, James Kinsella, Shane O’Gorman, Brendan Furling, Ryan Garry, Frank McCormack, Adam Kenny, Aidan Heleburt, Oisin Donnellan, Enda Feeney, Jack Lyons.

Tom’s:  Kevin Flynn, Danny Burke, Dwane Palmer, Craig Taylor, Vincent Doyle, Dylan Costello, Aaron Moore, Seamus Higgins, Shane Howley, Dean Flood, John Buckley, Stiofan McMahon, Ali Dooey.
By Rory O'Donnell

No comments: