Sunday, June 2, 2019

Sun Jun 2 - Senior Football: Galway v Wolfe Tones

Galway 0-11 Wolfe Tones 1-11

It was a dogged affair between Galway and the Tones.  An early second half goal from Ryan O’Neill proved to be the difference between the team in the end as the Tones held on to maintain the gap between the teams and secure 2 championship points.

Galway kept themselves in the game over the first 30 minutes.  Sean Hyland and Adam Gallagher each pointed to get the Westerners off the mark.  The Tones were not long getting themselves up to speed and into the game.  Thomas Beckett pointed and was followed immediately by Ronan Jones from the ensuing kickout to level affairs.  Billy Mannion put a brilliant score over the bar for Galway, and James Foley added to it to restore Galway’s 2 point advantage, but the Tones soon got a grip of the game and finished the half strongly.

Galway's Billy Mannion leaps highest
The last 5 points of the half were each scored by a player in a Blue shirt and on a couple of occasions the Galway rearguard were called on to make last ditch stops to prevent a goal.  The pace of the game slowed, and when in possession Galway were measured, but in spite of some close misses did not add to their lead.  Ryan O’Neill, Jerry Troy, Pascal Connell and Beckett each pointed to make it a 0-7 to 0-4 Tones half time lead.

An early goal in the second half provided the Tones with an advantage that Galway could not eat into.    In spite of leveling matters in the point’s column, the three pointer stood between the sides and endured for the remainder of the game.  Billy Mannion and Foley had cut the lead in half before the Tones struck with the major.  It was an immediate response to the Galway brace, with Tones corner forward Ryan O’Neill cutting in from an angle and hitting the roof of the net.

Galway kept plugging away.  Some good work from Cummins and a Foley free kick had the gap reduced to 2 points again, but again O’Neill and Troy restored the difference with points of their own as Galway’s efforts were almost immediately canceled out.  

Tones Ryan O'Neill about to shoot.
A scuffle broke out in the Tones goalmouth after an apparent off the ball episode with warning issued to Paudie Kenneally and Kevin Cummins with 10 minutes to go.  The Tones started to play keep-ball to kill off the clock and for Galway a goal would be required with time ticking away.  Galway continued to work had to get the ball into a scoring position, but the Tones were up to the task of closing down the space to prevent a shooting opportunity.  A last minute free that was dropped into the Tones square was adequately cleared. 

Galway:  Stephen Potter, Mark Mannion, Gerard Donoghue, Tom Davey, Danny Burke, James Foley, Eoghan Kavanagh, Billy Mannion, Stuart Cullen, Adam Gallagher, Leo Donnellan, Sean Hyland, Kevin Cummins.

Tones:  Shane Hayes, Paudie Kenneally, Darren Lawler, Enda Cahill, Jack lynch, Paul Clifford, Paschal Connell, Ronan Jones, Mike O’Brien, Jerry Troy, Thomas Beckett, Ryan O’Neill, Brendan Carroll.
By Rory O'Donnell

No comments: