Sunday, June 9, 2019

Sun June 9 - Intermediate Football: Shannon Blues v Cork

Shannon Blues 1-10  Cork 0-9

The first intermediate championship match in over 10 years saw Shannon Blues earn a good win against a Cork team that blew hot and cold.  The Blues held a commanding half time lead only to see it shrink to a two points with 15 minutes to go.  Cork could not sustain the momentum and the Blues finished well to run out 4 point winners.

Darren Wallace on the ball for the Blues.
Shannon Blues got off to a better start with a tally of a goal and four before Cork got one over the bar.  The rebels had a handful of wides, and Conor Greene pointed with 20 minutes gone.  It was mostly Blues to that point, Maurice Young opened the account with a point from play followed by one from a free.  After Ger Comer pointed the goal came from a good run through by center forward, Darren Wallace, who played a give and go with Mike Moylan before palming the ball into the empty net.

Cork came into it a bit more on the balance of play and were rewarded with a well taken point from wing forward, Nick Mullane.  Cork found it hard to get through the Blues rearguard in spite of enjoying more possession.  At the break the Blues held a 1-6 to 0-2 lead.

The second half saw Cork open very brightly.  Ian Caffrey was introduced to the fray and the young Kildare man made an impact right from the restart with 2 points.  Caffrey was followed by Greene and William Finnegan and there was just a goal in it with less than 10 minutes of the second half passed.  It could have been level had it not been for a good save from Mike Moriarty from Nick Mullane.

Pat Murray and Stephen Lambert under the high ball.
Cork managed to reduce the lead to 2 points after Finnegan pointed another free and Denis Harrington almost netted but his fisted effort came off the post and dribbled across the face of the goalmouth.  The Blues took it as a wake-up call and started to work the ball again.  Playing into the end away from the clubhouse, the Blues tallied 3 points to one for Cork to put four points between the teams.  Conor Fitzgerald pointed after 15 minutes, and was followed by Joe McHugh and Maurice Young.

Cork’s shooting started to let them down.  In spite of making some good scoring chances, a couple of wides and shots falling short meant that the rebels could not rein in their opponents.  Tom Hannon made it a 5 point Blues lead coming up to full time and more or less secured the points. 

Cork:  Kieran McEnry, Mike Carolan, Paddy Clarke, Conor Moynihan, Stephen Lambert, Patrick Bohane, William Finnegan, Adam Kenny, Mick Malone, Conor Greene, Nick Mullane, Dennis Harrington, Mark Dalton.

Blues:  Michael Moriarty, Shane Kelly, Derek O’Brien, Darren O’Donovan, Tom Hannon, Conor Mullen, Pat Murray, Maurice Young, Conor Fitzgerald, Darren Wallace, Joe McHhgh, Michael Moylan, Ger Comer.
By Rory O'Donnell

No comments: