Monday, June 13, 2022

Intermediate Football: Christopher's v Kerry

Kerry 2-19 Christopher’s 2-16

Noel Kennedy lines up his goal shot

Kerry added another win to their tally in the Intermediate football championship with a 5 point win over Christopher’s.  For Christopher’s it was a much improved performance from last week’s outing, however, the game slowly slipped away from them as the Kerry forwards picked off the points in the second half.  Christopher’s did make Kerry sweat a little with a late goal that reduced the gap to a score and a chance that rattled the crossbar, but the Kingdom held on for the last couple of minutes to take both points.

The teams were back and forth for the opening quarter with each side taking some nice points.  For Christopher’s it was corner forward Alan. Kennedy who showed well for the ball, and also showed that he could make the space for himself to finish picking off several points in the early going.  Kerry had contributions from several quarters, Jack Farrell at corner forward showed well and Ryan O’ Súilleabháin at wing forward also was also lively for the Kingdom. 

Kerry gained an upper hand with two back to back goals after 20 minutes.  Noel Kennedy stole forward from the back line to finish the first, and the second came from Gearoid Dillane, and Christopher’s were hit with a one-two punch.   Christopher’s got some neat play from Killian Kilkelly, and struck back with a much needed goal before the break to keep themselves in the game.  At the break it was a 2-10 to 1-8 Kerry advantage.

The second half saw Kerry stretch their lead.  Dillane pointed, and then Ryan O’ Súilleabháin put a lovely score over the bar following a dummy solo and finish to match.   Jack Farrell added two more and there was a lot of work for Christopher’s to do to lift the siege.  Alan Kennedy and Kilkelly linked well for Christopher’s at times, but the Kerry defence was hard to penetrate.  Eventually Kennedy pointed, and that score was followed by two wonderful strikes from Jeremiah Kenneally who powered though the Kerry rearguard to bring his side back into the game.

Six points in it coming into the final 15 minutes and a goal was imperative for Christopher’s, but with much searching for the gaps in Kerry’s rearguard, there was none to be found.  The two goal deficit remained as Kerry continued to pick off the points and Christopher’s could only respond in kind.  Eventually a goal did come for Christopher’s, but with little time remaining.  It was Kenneally made another thundering run to latch on to a pass from brother, Danny who had taken a spot on the edge of the square, and Jeremiah billowed the back of the net with the shot.  Tensions rose in the final few minutes, and Kerry hearts were in mouths as a final Christopher’s chance to steal something from the game rattled the crossbar.  Kerry did just about enough to take both points, and it will be Christopher’s and Tones next as each tries to take their first points of the season next Sunday.   

Shannon Blues defeated the Wolfe Tones in the final game of the day with a  4-17 to 3-6 final score, and will renew and old rivalry with Kerry a week from Saturday to establish who will be top dog for the championship.

Kerry:  Kevin Flynn, Noel Kennedy, John Doherty, Conor Stack, Shane O’Connor, Sean O’Cathasaigh, James Farrell, Declan O’Sullivan, Gearoid Dillane, Sean Ó Buadhacháin, Padraig Doyle, Jack Farrell, Ryan Ó Súilleabháin,.  Christopher’s:  W. Crookston, J. Kelley, M. McSweeney, A. Inman, P. Kenneally, L. Tunney, J. Horgan, J. Kenneally, S. Igoe, K. Kilkelly, D. Furlong, G. Barr, A. Kennedy.

No comments: