Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Senior Hurling: Fr. Tom Burke's v Wexford - Aug 8

Fr. Tom Burke’s 2-10 Wexford 0-16

Tom’s earned a point when two were really needed to maintain their hopes of playing into late August. Tom’s fought hard for the 60 minutes, but against a Wexford side containing a handful of players that look like they were born with hurls in their hands, a little more then hard endeavor was required to take full points. Wexford enjoyed the majority of the possession in the second half, but two goals from Tom’s in the second period resulted in level scores when the final whistle sounded.

JJ Kenny played a big part for Wexford at center forward....
By the time the first half was done Tom’s enjoyed a two point lead. Fran Keenan fired the first three points of the game over from frees, one from inside his own 65. Wexford opened their account with a Gearoid O’Connor point, and that was followed with a score from JJ Kenny. Kenny was on form at center forward for Wexford, and chalked up two more points from play before half time. Ger Reddin got on the scoreboard for Tom’s, and Keenan continued to be on the mark from frees. After Gary Brennan put Tom’s a goal ahead with a point from play, Joe Keane was called on to make a fine save and keep Wexford goalless in the first half. Jamie Kehoe pointed the rebound and at the half Tom’s led by two points, 0-8 to 0-6.

....while his counterpart, Fran Keenan was instrumental for Tom's.
Wexford found their form in the second half. Brian Dalton looked impressive in the half back line, while Kehoe kept things moving in the middle of the field. Tom’s hit with an early goal from a Keenan 21-yard free that was drilled low and hard. Wexford had a lot of work to do to get back in the game. After Stephen White pointed from a free, Joe Maher took over the marksman duties and did well. Maher put three frees in a row over the bar, and Phil Fanning pointed from play level affairs. Keenan restored the lead for Tom’s with a point from play. After Maher leveled matters again, Tom’s put a second goal away. A long free from Keenan dropped on the edge of the square and it looked like Gary Brennan got a stick to it to put it in the corner of the net. Tom’s now ahead by two points inside the final ten minutes – was a win on the cards for the Tom’s lads? Wexford leveled yet again, Tom Maloney and Maher, who put a great point over from midfield, the scorers. With 26 minutes gone Conor Neylon gave Tom’s the lead yet again as they continued to fight hard for the victory, and Wexford saw Maher miss three shots in a row, one free and two from play. However, Stephen White leveled affairs with a free late in the game and both sides missed chances to win the game down the stretch. The draw suits Wexford as they now sit on 6 points and look good for the semi-finals.

Tom’s: J. Keane, S. O’Brien, C. Horan, J. Dowling, D. Moore, D. Neylon, T. Kelly, L. Mulhearn, G. Brennan (1-1) G. Reddin (0-1), F. Keenan (1-7), S. Howley, C. Neylon (0-1). Wexford: G. Griffey, B. Healy, S. Prendergast, D. Redmond, S. White (0-2), B. Dalton, D. Lyng, J. Kehoe (0-1), G. Fennelly, JJ Kenny (0-4), J. Maher (0-6), G. O’Connor (0-1), R. O’Dwyer. Sub: P. Fanning (0-1), T. Maloney (0-1).

By Rory O'Donnell

No comments: