Monday, August 2, 2010

Senior Hurling: Tipperary v Galway - Aug 1

Tipperary 2-16 Galway 0-13

A fine performance from the Tipperary half back line formed the basis for a well earned win over Galway on Sunday. The Tipp backs stifled the Galway forwards and choked off any chance the Tribesmen had of adding to their points total in the senior hurling championship. At the other end of the field, Tipp made good use their possession and with 15 minutes to go the game was as good as over.

Wille Hyland lines up a shot for Galway.
The first half took some time to open up, and each side generated chances at goal, Tipp capitalized on one of theirs thanks to Colin Fennelly who gave the keeper no chance with about 20 minutes played. The half had been fairly evenly contested up to that point, but Tipp picked up their game coming up to the half time break. The back line for Tipp swarmed any Galway forward who found himself in possession and provided little room for the Galway forwards to shoot. Galway did have a great chance of a goal. At one stage Shane Maher found himself with the keeper to beat but his touch on the ball pushed it a bit too far ahead to have a real go at it. Galway hung with Tipp in the early going, just before the goal came it was three points apiece. Martin Boran and Shane Bourke pointing for Tipp while Enda Concannon, Willie O’Dwyer, and Shane Murphy did likewise for Galway, Murphy’s point a beauty from about 65 yards out on the sideline. Tipp’s half back line kicked into a higher gear as the game wore on and controlled the remaining three quarters. Bourke and Boran pointed before the half time whistle while Hyland and O’Dwyer pointed for Galway to make it a 1-7 to 0-5 Tipp lead at the break.

Kieran Joyce tries to lift the ball for Tipp while Shane Maher challenges.
The game got away entirely from Galway in the second half. It seemed like the westerners were working their way back into it with points from Hyland, Concannon, and Shane Murphy, but all that was immediately cancelled out with a Martin Boran goal. Shane Maher had a great chance to get the goal back. Bearing down on goal Maher let fly from 21 yards and Tom Lowrey made a fine save to deny the Galwaymen. That missed chance lifted Tipp and Galway spirits seemed to sink. Boran struck three frees in a row over the bar, and with the difference standing at nine points Tipp took full control. Gleeson, Joyce, and Hickey gobbled up with relish practically every ball played into their line, and the Tipp forwards converted the possession. Paul McGrath eventually got on the scoresheet, Burke, Boran, and Gleeson added to Galway’s woes. Tipperary looking hard to beat while it is back to the drawing board for Galway.

Tipp: T. Lowry, B. Kenny, J. Kindregan, E. Gleeson, K. Joyce, S. Hickey, C. Dempsey, M. Gleeson (0-1), C. Fennelly (1-0), M. Boran (1-11), D. McNicholas, S. Bourke (0-3), P. McGrath (0-1). Galway: E. Ward, J. O’Callaghan, C. O’Driscoll, P. Nolan, B. Regan, A. Callaghan, G. Lally, S. Murphy (0-4), S. Dineen, S. Maher, E. Concannon (0-2), W. Hyland (0-3), W. O’Dwyer (0-4).

By Rory O'Donnell

No comments: