Monday, July 23, 2012

Senior Football: Christopher's Demolish Gaels

Connemara Gaels 1-8 Christopher’s 3-13

Christopher’s put themselves right into playoff contention and leapfrogged the Gaels in the table with a comprehensive win on Sunday afternoon.  A two goal and five point salvo in the first quarter destroyed any hope that the Gaels had of taking something from the game.  In fact, the first Gaels attempt at a score came after 14 minutes of play, and it was over as a contest by half time as Christopher’s led by eleven points.

The Gaels Sean Conneely gets past
Christopher's Dan Kenneally
Christopher’s had the game more or less put away in the first half as the Gaels looked surprisingly lack luster.  Sean Conneely lined out at wing forward but seemed to drop into his own half back line, bringing Tom Clancy with him.  If it was a deliberate move it backfired as Christopher’s put unyielding pressure on the Gaels backs for the first 15 minutes, and the Gaels scarcely had an outlet to play the ball to.  Chris Brady pointed right after the throw in, and was followed by Gavin O’Grady.  O’Grady then netted as the ball over the top caught the Gaels defence and Brady found O’Grady who goaled from an angle.  The Gaels seemed indifferent as Christopher’s continued to tear the defence apart.  Brian Joyce was called upon on several occasions to try and keep the score somewhat respectable as the Youth League graduate made two or three fantastic point blank saves.  Christopher’s second goal came from the Gaels defence caught ball watching again, and O’Grady drew two defenders and passed to Brady who found the opening to finish.  Down by eleven points, the Gaels decided to play some football and pointed three times on the trot, but any hopes of denting the Christopher’s lead before the break came to nothing as points from David Culhane, Brady and Dan Kenneally restored the lead.  At the break it was a 2-8 to 0-3 advantage for Christopher’s.

Joe Greaney and Pat Delaney contest a high ball.
In the second period the Gaels put up an improved performance.  The deficit was so great however, that Christopher’s could afford to take the foot off the gas.  Joe Greaney won some ball in the middle of the field, and points came from his boot three times.  Sean Conneely added another, and one wondered if there was an outside chance that a Gaels goal might liven things up.  A goal did came, but it was for Christopher’s.  Shortly after Joyce saved again Chris Brady scored his second goal to put nine points between the teams.  Sean Moran netted a consolation for the Gaels with five minutes left on the clock, but in reality the game was already in the bag for Christopher’s, who must have been surprised at the ease of the victory.  A game that asks a lot of questions about the Gaels playoff prospects and not a contest that Christopher’s can use as a gauge of where they stand.

Referee:  Jimmy Trimble (Tir Chonaill)

Man of the Match:  Tom Clancy (Christopher’s)

Gaels:  B. Joyce, C. O’Donnell, D. Doolan, S. Curran, C. Sweeney, C. Mulkerrins, J. Greaney, S. Moran, S. Conneely, G. Delaney, F. O’Beara, M. Stevenson,M. Rogers.  Christopher’s:  P. Kenneally, N. Ryan, C. Murphy, T. Clancy, S. O’Hare, D. O’Leary, D. Kenneally, P. Delaney, D. Culhane, S. Flanagan, D. Casey, G. O’Grady, C. Brady.

By Rory O'Donnell

No comments: