Monday, June 24, 2013

June 23 - Senior hurling: Galway v Wexford

Galway 3-14 Wexford 3-11

Galway and Wexford served up a great game of hurling on a hot, heavy day at the ICC.  It was the westerners who survived a second half two goal salvo from their local rivals in the final 10 minutes with Dan McCormack taking a couple of vital scores along with John Moylan to keep the distance between the teams.

Wexford's David Drake tries to stop Galway's David Collins
Galway had the stronger start of these Brighton rivals as Wexford tried to feel their way into the game.  Galway opened up an early eight point lead.  Galway's half forward line looked strong.  Philip Ivors, Stephen Brown and center forward, Dan McCormack overpowered the Wexford half back line.  Midfielder David O'Connor was on the mark with two early frees, while at corner forward John Moylan netted a goal following a rebound from Ivor's initial attempt.  Moylan accounted for two well taken scores from play, and Galway looked like they would take over the game, but Wexford got into the swing of things to get back within touching distance.  Tony Murphy, David Drake, Eoghan Kavanagh, and Simon O'Brien took some nice points.  Just when Wexford looked like they would take the break within 4 points of their opponents, Galway struck with a blow just before the half when Stephen Brown goaled from close range and put the Westerners seven points to the good at the break.

It was a hard fought encounter between
Galway and Wexford on Sunday.
Wexford made a game of it in the second half and an early Tony Murphy goal after the sides had traded points made it a four point game.  The ball into the big full forward looked like the plan for Wexford, as once the ball is in his hand the big man from Cork looked dangerous.  Galway, however, got it back almost right away when substitute Pat Lupton was found all alone coming in on the far side and netted from close range.  For Galway Dan McCormack was to the fore popping up on the half forward line for two critical points to maintain that lead.  John Flynn-O'Connor gave Wexford hope with another goal for Wexford, and the lead was reduced to just one score goal after substitute Brian Glynce pointed.  Galway were not going to be turned that easy though, and Ivors along with McCormack restored the Galway lead to five with less than five minutes to go.  Wexford once again had hope after Glynce netted, but it was Galway who won the next crucial puckouts to see themselves over the line.  Galway with maximum points from 2 games and Wexford still looking to get off the mark.

Wexford:  E. Spruhan, D. Redmond, M. McCafferty, J. Hoyne, P. Nolan, B. Dalton, S. Elward, D. Drake (0-4), J. Kehoe, E. Kavanagh (0-2), S. O'Brien (0-1), T. Murphy (1-3), J. Flynn-O'Connor (1-0).  Sub: B. Glynce (1-1)  Galway:  P. Connors, P. Ryan, C. McGovern, E. Casey, D. Collins, A. O'Sullivan, B. Bergin (0-1), D. O'Connor (0-2), S. Brown (1-0), D. McCormack (0-4), P. Ivors (0-3), S. Curran, J. Moylan (1-3).  Sub: P. Lupton (1-0), S. Curran (0-1).

By Rory O'Donnell

No comments: