Monday, June 10, 2013

June 9 - Senior Football: Galway v Shannon Blues

Galway 1-9 Shannon Blues 3-9

Galway and the Shannon Blues played out a very entertaining 60 minutes of football, with the Blues sealing the victory with two late Kieran Hurley goals in the face of a brave Galway side.  Just when Galway looked like they had suffered the blow that would take the wind out of their sails, the tribesmen came back to make a game of it.  The Blues, however, dispelled Galway hopes almost as soon as they sprung answering each time with a goal when it was needed.

Kieran Hurley puts one over the bar in the first half.
Galway's task was made all the harder after Jamie Kehoe was shown a red card 20 minutes into the first half after hauling down Andy Glennon as he bore down on goal.  Galway hung in in the early part of the game and looked lively with Fergal Durkan at center back driving through the middle, as well as Barry Coffey and Conor McGraynor looking full of endeavor in the half forward line.  Coffey pointed two frees for Galway while for the Blues Anto Duffy looked like the prime threat with two early points from play.  With Kieran Hurley, Cathal McHugh and Andy Glennon adding scores the Blues gradually put their hold on the game.  At the break the lead was extended to five points, and the Blues led by 0-7 to 0-2.

Andy Glennon shadowed by Paul Cummins.
It looked curtains for Galway early in the second half.  Hurley netted a very well taken goal.  Wing back Patrick McCarthy hoisted one for Glennon on the edge of the square.  Glennon fielded cleanly and found the incoming Hurley who finished expertly into the far corner.  Galway came right back with a goal however.  Kevin Cummins won the ball on the edge of the box after a shot rebounded off the hands of keeper Darragh O'Brien.  Cummins was bundled over the line and the goal stood.  Galway were now four points behind and inched a point closer thanks to Coffey, the Newbridge man was key for Galway's efforts at center forward.  With 10 minutes left it was all to play for.  Coffey again pointed and it looked like a grandstand finish may be on the cards, but right away the Blues hit with another Hurley goal.  Galway narrowed the gap once again with a brace of points from Coffee to once again set up the possibility of an unlikely comeback, but again Hurley and the Blues answered with a third goal to put the final nail in the coffin.  Two hard earned points for the Blues, and a second half hat trick for Hurley.  For Galway a good performance will temper the disappointment of the loss.

Galway:  M. O'Connor, R. Lyons, P. Cummins, S. Conneeley, F. Durkan, J. Kehoe, J. Campion, E. Kavanagh, B. Coffey (0-7), C. McGraynor, D. Reddin (0-1), K. Cummins (1-1), C. Costello.  Blues:  D. O'Brien, K. Hartnett, G. Ryan, S. Moriarty (0-1), S. Brosnan, P. McCarthy, S. Kiely, B. Hartnett, A. Glennon (0-2), R Blaine, A. Duffy (0-4), K. Hurley (3-1), C. McHugh (0-1).

By Rory O'Donnell

No comments: