Monday, June 24, 2013

June 23 - Senior Football: Aidan McAnespies v Wolfe Tones

Wolfe Tones 0-17 Aidan McAnespies 0-12

Each of these South Boston based teams were in search of their second win of the season, which added to the intensity and excitement of the encounter.  It was the Tones who came out on top and deservedly so.  A performance that was full of heart and determination, and a back line that closed down the spaces for the speedy McAnespies corner forwards were the keys to a big win for the Blue side of Southie.

John Comerford and Stephen Sherry contest
The Tones were full of purpose right from the throw in.  With 20 minutes gone the blue team held a three point lead.  Attacking from the back line, the Tones converted possession into six points.  Thomas Moolick got the ball rolling in the first minute, and was followed by Danny Egan, Charles McCarthy, Jason Hickson and Gary Brilly as once again all the Tones forwards showed they are capable of putting the ball between the posts.  McAnespies found their way back into the game eventually.  Luke Kelly at center forward and both corner forwards Jamie Doolan and Francis Burke started to motor.  Kelly at center forward looked to be a key addition to the McAnespies team, and when on the ball the man from Clara county Offaly looked strong.  Each player pointed to level the scores coming up to the break.

Kian Cleere with Luke Kelly in pursuit.
The second half began with the teams tied at seven points each.  There were changes made early on both sides, some by necessity and some by choice.  The Tones continued to attack from the half back line and strung together six points to one for McAnespies in a strong opening.  Marty Farrell accounted for three points, Egan, Hickson and Martin Kelly the others.  Now behind by five points. McAnespies had to find some kind of answer and introduced Cian McEnroe to the fray.  The change began to pay dividends as Francis Burke and substitute Cathal O'Neill reduced the gap to three with 3 minutes left.  It looked like there would be a grandstand finish after Mark Treanor made it a two point game with a few minutes to go, but it was the Tones with the strong finish as the crucial breaking balls were won by blue shirts.  With a three point finish the Tones pull off a huge win for the club to get their second win of the season.

Tones:  C. Hynes, K. Cleere, S. O'Hagan, S. Higgins, J. Hickson (0-3), J. Gonoud, T. Moolick (0-3) J. Comerford (0-1), M. Farrell (0-1), G. Brilly (0-1), D. Egan (0-2) C. McCarthy (0-1) C. Joyce-Power.  Sub:  M. Kelly (0-1).  Macs: P. Coakley, N. McGovern (0-1), E. Delmar, N. Gallen, G. O'Neill, E. Rigney, D. McKenna, S. Sherry, M. Treanor (0-3), L. Kelly (0-2), C. Tobin, J. Doolan (0-2) , F. Burke (0-3).

By Rory O'Donnell 

No comments: