Monday, June 2, 2014

June 1: Senior Football - Kerry v Christopher's

Kerry 4-8 Christopher's 4-5

It was an eight goal thriller between Kerry and Christopher's at the Irish Cultural Center on Sunday afternoon.  Although unsettled after conceding 3 goals early in the first half, Kerry pulled through the encounter to emerge 3 point winners.  Niall Sheehy was on the spot with the scores early in the second half as Kerry took the lead, and Kerry hearts missed a beat or two late in the game as Christopher's came within a hair of leveling the scores.

In spite of conceding 4 goals, Kerry came out on top.
Christopher's got off to a three goal start and rattled Kerry nerves early on.  Graham Glenn had put Kerry into a 1-1 to no score lead, but back came Christopher's as they ran at the Kerry defence.  Shane Leahy netted first, and was followed by a fine Kevin McAllister effort.  Dan Kenneally found the incoming  Leahy, who fed McAllister.  Kerry's early woes continued as after he brought down McAllister, Kerry keeper Brendan Monagle was shown a black card.  McAllister hit the kick and found the back of the net.  Christopher's ahead by a score of 3-0 to 1-1.  A little bit of impatience set in the Kerry play, as the ball was overplayed or passes went amiss.  After the teams traded points Kerry pulled a goal back through Derrick Nolan.  At the break Christopher's led by 3-3 to 2-3.

The second half saw Kerry make their comeback.  Niall Sheehy was the man of the moment with three points and a bizarre goal.  A high ball into the edge of the small square looked like it had enough length to sneak wide of the post, but Sheehy managed to get a fist to it and direct the ball into the open net.  Kerry were now 2 points to the good.  Christopher's made efforts to come back into the game, however, there were a few chances that went amiss.  Paudie Kenneally's pointed free was the sum of their rewards.  With the game still very much up for grabs, Kerry's fourth goal of the game came from the boot of Joey Fitzpatrick.  A skyward effort dropped short and ended up dropping just under the bar, Fitzpatrick followed with a point and the Kerrymen were now six points to the good.  Christopher's got a glimmer of hope after Mark Delaney fired home a cracker of a goal with his left foot to put one score in the game.  Christopher's nearly did pull off a draw when Kevin McAllister's shot from a tight angle rebounded off a Kerry defender but somehow stayed out as Mike Godley and Lee Steacy managed to prevent the goal.  Kerry hung on for the final few minutes and survived a tough test of character to remain on full points for the championship so far.

Kerry:  B. Monagle, M. Godley, A. Fitzgerald, M. Moriarty, P. Devane, S. Dunne, I. Whelan, D. Nolan, N. Sheehy, G. Glenn, J. Fitzpatrick, R. Croft, L. Steacy.  Christopher's:  J. Toner, E. O'Mahoney, M. McSweeney, P. Dalton, C. Murphy, E. O'Neill, D. Kenneally, M. Delaney, P. Kenneally, S. Leahy, P. Mannion, I Casey, K. McAllister.

By Rory O'Donnell 

No comments: