Sunday, June 22, 2014

Sunday June 22 - Senior Hurling: Wexford v Galway

Galway 2-7 Wexford 2-17

Wexford earned a comfortable win over Galway on Sunday afternoon.  With the addition off Kilkenny U-21 goalkeeper, Aaron Duggan, and smattering of players from that bastion of hurling in Ireland, Wexford displayed some smart hurling and pinpoint accuracy from distance to get themselves off the mark in the points column of the championship table.  The crowd was treated to a superb display of goalkeeping as there were some amazing saves at either end throughout the game.

Galway could not rein in a Wexford team that
was on the mark all afternoon.
The first 20 minutes saw Wexford open a 9 point lead.  The Slaneysiders could not miss, while in marked contrast, Galway could not score.  After midfielder Mark Mansfield and Jamie Kehoe each pointed from distance, Padraig O'Farrell got into open space and netted.  With Galway on the back foot Wexford made hay.  Tom Moloney, then brother Michael, along with Craig Burke had Wexford sailing at 1-6 before Ger Malone opened Galway's account. 

Galway continued to miss chances as Wexford added to their lead though Mansfield and Moloney.  There was a fine save at each end.  Aaron Duggan was first to dive to his left and keep out a ball that was batted down towards the bottom corner.  Shortly afterwards Skehill made a tremendous save to put the ball out for a 65.  Galway began to work their way back into the game, and points from Thomas O'Hanrahan, John Moylan and McNamara drew them closer, before Ger Malone netted following a quick free to cut the Wexford lead to 6.  Paul Holden was on the mark just before the break to make it a 1-10 to 1-5 Wexford lead.

Wexford were on top in all areas of the field.
Wexford continued to hold the edge, and the benefit of 3 more fine saves from Duggan.  Harry Wallace put in a fine performance at corner back, while O'Farrell netted a second time.  Mansfield and Eoghan Kavanagh pointed, while Skehill had to make a brilliant save to keep Galway from slipping further behind.  Each keeper got on the scoreboard.  Skehill with a booming free from inside his own 65 and Duggan with a penalty that he skied over the bar.  Wexford clipped away with the points to establish an unassailable lead.  Galway got a consolation goal with less than 5 minutes left from Ger Malone, but with the gap at 8 points Wexford saw out the game with little additional fuss.

Galway: J. Skehill, P. Dowling, M. Lennon, JJ Doyle, S. Phelan, B. McNamara, L. Henerson, J. Moylan, P. Holden, G. Malone, F. Flattery, T. O'Hanrahan, D. Wallace. Wexford:  A. Duggan, H. Wallace, M. Ryan, T. Moloney, D. Magill, J. Keohane, J. Kehoe, M. Mansfield, P. Ryan, E. Kavanagh, C. Burke, M. Moloney, P. O'Farrell.

By Rory O'Donnell

No comments: