Sunday, June 22, 2014

Sunday June 22 - Senior Football: Connemara Gaels v Galway

Connemara Gaels 2-15 Galway 2-13

Galway and the Connemara Gaels were involved in a very entertaining 60 minutes of football.  There were brilliant scores, 4 goals, and plenty of incidents to chew on, including 2 sendings off.  Galway always had a chance to come out on top, but it was the Gaels who had that little bit of extra fitness and guile to end up winners.

Kevin Cummins was a threat for Galway at corner forward.
It was an absorbing first 30 minutes of football.  There was some great running from both teams, sharp football, and fine scores.  Galway got off the mark first with a Gary Patterson goal following a trademark run from the wing back.  The Gaels came right back with an answer, Ger Leech created the opening for Ian Burke to palm in at the far post.  A couple of fantastic Andy Glennon points highlighted the half.  Galway's full forward line of Glennon and Kevin Cummins were always a threat, and Galway got the ball in to them early. 

The Gaels by contrast played a running style and worked some openings for Tom Sally  McDonagh, Leech, and John Egan.  A Gaels goal with about 20 minutes gone opened up a lead.  Egan found Noel Graham to tap in at the far post.  Galway answered with 3 points on the trot from Glennon (2) and Gary Kelly, and capped the run of scores with a goal.  This time it was Danny Reddin with the run, Glennon hit the crossbar and Reddin was there for the rebound.  Galway ahead by 2 points.  A Kieran Killeen point put the smallest of margins in it at the break, with Galway ahead by 2-7 to 2-6.  The latter stages of the half were marked by some pushing and shoving episodes as temperatures started to get heated.

It was a keenly contested affair between
the Gaels and Galway.
The second half was as close as the first.  Having opened the half with 5 points, to one for Galway, it looked as though the Gaels had managed to get control of affairs.  Mossy Shanhan at corner back got on top of his man as the Gaels back line came to grips with the dual threat.  One score came from a ball Shanahan won just outside his own 21, and the move was finished by Leech for a point. 

Gaels corner forward Ian Burke was given his marching orders with a second yellow card and Galway took advantage with 2 points, one each from Eoghan Cummins and Gary Kelly to take a one point lead.  Kevin Cummins suffered a rush of blood to the head having been awarded a free just outside the box and was given a red card for appearing to head butt Shanahan after the whistle blew.  With the teams even in personnel once more, the Gaels pushed on for the win.  Three points on the trot from Dave McCormack, Graham, and substitute, Sean Treacy put the Gaels into a two point lead.  As Galway searched for a decisive goal the Gaels defended in numbers and held on to make it 3 for 3 in the championship.

Gaels:  E. Connolly, M. Shanahan, J. Donoghue, S. Conneeley, S. O' Connor, K. Killeen, D. McCormack, J. Barrett, J. Egan, N. Graham, T. McDonagh, I. Burke, G. Leech.  Galway:  M. O'Connor, D. Redmond, J. Gallagher, G. Patterson, M. Ryan, E. Murray, E. Kavanagh, E. Cummins, J. Kehoe, G. Kelly, D. Reddin, A. Glennon, K. Cummins.

By Rory O'Donnell

No comments: