Monday, July 14, 2014

July 13 - Senior Hurling: Tipperary v Wexford

Wexford 5-9 Tipperary 0-13

Five goals saw Wexford past Tipperary in an entertaining encounter.  The win puts Wexford in second place with the second round of the championship to come.  Tipperary played some nice hurling, but the final touch let them down.  Plenty of ball made it into the forward line, but the yield was low as the Wexford back line mopped up well.  Wexford on the other hand tallied three goals inside the first 15 minutes of the second half carry them to the win.

Tipperary clear their lines in the first half.
After a first half that was bookended by Eoghan Kavanagh goals, Wexford held a one point lead.  Having drifted out of the game in the 10 minutes leading up to half time, Kavanagh's second goal was much needed for Wexford.  Tipp had tallied four points to no reply, and had a penalty attempt saved during that spell in which they were on top.  Wexford rode the early goal, which came from a mazy run from the man from Inistoige County Kilkenny, and thereafter the teams traded points.  Michael Moloney was the main marksman for Wexford with four points, while for Tipp Paul Flaherty and Paul Buggy were on target.  Tipps plans were turned upside down after Buggy suffered an ear injury that ended his participation.   Kavanagh's second goal resembled the first, though it came from the other side, and it was all to play for in the second half with Wexford holding a 2-5 to 0-10 lead.

 Wexford came up with the big scores in the second.
Before the second half was 15 minutes old Wexford had the ball in the Tipperary net three times.  Peter Ryan accounted for 2 of the goals, the first from the edge of the small square after Paudge O'Farrell had made the opening with a run, and the second from a high ball into the small square.  Michael Moloney accounted for the other goal.  Tipp managed three points, but the absence of Paul Buggy severely curtailed their scoring  effectiveness.  Wexford defended well and Tipperary were unable to generate clear chances in spite of a decent amount of ball played into the attacking third of the field.  Harry Wallace at corner back cleared well on several occasions.  Towards the end of the game things got a little ill tempered with 3 players getting the marching orders.  Pat Moriarty, and then Jamie Kehoe and Sean Moriarty were given the line.  Wexford saw out the game to take the points and have 2 wins from their 3 games at the half way point of the season.

Wexford:  A. Duggan, H. Wallace, M. Ryan, T. Moloney, B. Barron, J. Keohane, J. Kehoe, M. Mansfield, B. Doyle, P. Ryan, E. Kavanagh, P. O'Farrell, M. Moloney.  Tipp:  S. Delaney, R. Sludds, S. McGarr, S. McKillop, N. O'Connor, P. Moriarty, C. Dempsey, L. Varley, E. Quinn, P. Flaherty, M. Kavanagh, S. Moriarty, P. Buggy.

By Rory O'Donnell

No comments: