Monday, July 7, 2014

Sunday July 6 - Senior Football: Aidan McAnespies v Shannon Blues

Aidan McAnespies 3-10 Shannon Blues 3-21

Shannon Blues reinforced their championship credentials with a total victory over Aidan McAnespies to finish the day on Sunday.  McAnespies never came to grips with the game and the Blues were in control from beginning to end.  After opening a five point lead to start the game, there was no looking back as the Blues went to the top of the championship table.

Shannon Blues were on top in nearly every facet of the game....
The Blues had the breeze in the first half and took the game to McAnespies from the off.  Sean O'Connor, who was on the Blues championship winning side two years ago, was back on the wing and accounted for four well taken points in the opening 30 minutes.  Corner forwards, Paul O'Connor and Niall Murphy, looked dangerous when the ball went inside the 21 yard line.  The Blues back line worked hard to close down the space and put the man in possession under pressure, denying room to the McAnespies forward line.  The Blues lead continued to grow as the half wore on, Murphy, O'Connor, and David Clifford all added to the tally.  McAnespies came into it towards the end.  Conor Wallace was forced to pull off a fine save as Liam Boland looked like he had fisted the ball into the net, and Caolean O'Boyle and Boland pointed just before the break.  At the half it was a 0-13 to 0-5 Blues lead. spite of the efforts of Liam Boland and Co.
Things did not get much better for McAnespies in the second half.  The Blues struck with the first goal of the game from Paul O'Connor right after the throw in.  After McAnespies pulled two points back, it was a goal and four points unanswered for the Blues.  The second goal came from Niall Murphy who just had to tap the ball in at the far post after some good work created the opening.  Following the sequence of scores, all hope was lost for McAnespies, the rout was complete.  All that was left to play for was pride.  Mattie Campion hit a goal after a rare defence opening move.  The Blues remained steadfast at the back for the remainder of the game, and with the result in hand, held the ball to play for time as the game wound down to a subdued end.  A rousing victory for the Blues, for McAnespies some questions to be answered.

Macs:  P. Coakley, C. McPartland, M. Bogue, N. Gallen, C. McGuirk, P. Meade, J. McGourty, C. Donnelly, P. Mallon, M. Campion, D. McKinless, L. Boland, C. O'Boyle.  Blues:  C. Wallace, S. Kelly, C. Long, D. Clifford, D. McElligott, T. Wallace, S. Moriarty, J. Walsh, G. Caden, D. Wallace, S. O'Connor, P. O'Connor, N. Murphy.

By Rory O'Donnell

No comments: