Sunday, June 4, 2017

Sheehan Cup Final - Late Point Wins it for Tipp

Tipperary 2-13 Fr. Tom Burke’s 0-18

Tipperary captured the Sheehan Cup in the most exciting fashion possible with a point at the death from Sean Stafford.  Tipp looked like they might have left Tom’s in the dust after the first 15 minutes, but with a slight breeze behind them in the second half, Tom’s were right back in the game mid-way into the second half.  The final 15 minutes saw the lead change hands four times as it was edge of the seat stuff down the stretch, before the final point from Stafford delivered the cup for Tipperary.

First Silverware of the Season to the Premier County.
With the sights, sounds, and smells of the Irish Festival all around, and a sizeable crowd seated in the stand, many of whom may been watching the game live for the first time, Tipperary proceeded to open up a sizeable lead in the early going.  Corner forwards, Russell Quirke and Sean Stafford combined well for a goal, while the points seemed to go over easy for Stafford, Quirke, Derek O’Brien and Jimmy Meagher.  Tom’s found their way back into the game, after hitting 4 wides the points started to come.  Robbie Carew at wing forward was the main scoring outlet.  The Ferrybank man from Waterford hit 5 of Tom’s 6 first half points.  Tom’s had Sean O’Brien to thank for a great save from David Condron, however, Stafford buried a second goal before the break, and Tipp held a 2-7 to 0-6 half time lead.

Fr. Tom Burke's - Pipped at the end of an Exciting Game.
The second half saw Tom’s patiently eat into the Tipp lead.  Shane Howley sparked into life with a couple of well taken points, as did wing forward Shane Ryan.  With 15 minutes to go the game was tied up with an MJ Sutton point and it was Tom’s with the momentum.  The teams traded scores down the stretch.  Tipp regained the lead through Stafford, and Ryan leveled for Tom’s.  Howley put Tom’s in front and Jimmy Meagher leveled for Tipp.  Brian Flynn who entered as a sub for Tom’s did very well when the chips were down and many Tipp threats were snuffed out.  Carew put Tom’s up and there were minutes on the clock, but yet again, the scores were level as Stafford pointed.  It was looking as though the festival crowd would be treated to extra time. 

Carew almost netted for Tom’s with 2 minutes to go, however, Sean Delaney pulled off a fine save.  Stafford then pointed a ’65 to put Tipp up, and again we were all square after Sutton leveled it.  With Darragh Kealey’s watch striking zero Stafford found some room on the 21 and from a tight angle put the winning point over the bar.  An exciting end worthy of a cup final, and it was Tipp who would be celebrating with the silverware through the night.

Tipp:  Sean Delaney, Sean McGarr, Pat Morris, Mark Jordan, Cronan Dempsey, Pat Moriarty, Jimmy Meagher, Derek O’Brien, Dinny Corss, David Condron, Kieran Lowrey, Russel Quirke, Sean Stafford.

Tom’s:  Sean O’Brien, James Dooley, Paudge Egan, Dylan Costello, Donal Coughlin, Chris O’Donoghue, Aaron Moore, Shane Davey, Gary Kelly, M.J. Sutton, Shane Ryan, Shane Howley, Robbie Carew.
By Rory O'Donnell

No comments: