Monday, June 19, 2017

Sunday June 18 - Senior Football: Galway v Aidan McAnespies

Aidan McAnespies 0-17 Galway 2-15

The senior football championship is well and truly underway.  Galway tallied their first 2 points of the season, while it was the first loss of the 2017 for McAnespies.  The game was tight all the way through, with no more than 2 points between the teams.  It was not until Kevin Cummins netted in injury time for Galway that there was any semblance of distance between the sides, and the tribesmen could enjoy what was a hard fought win. 

There was little quarter given as Ruairi Greene
is tight on Che O'Donnell.

Two points stood between the teams at the end of a lively first 30 minutes.  MacAnespies worked hard on both sides of the ball in the early going, and were rewarded with a 4 points to two lead.  Croft with 2 points, and the other coming from Brian Breslin and corner forward, Dean Flood.  With Galway trying to get into the game, a goal came from the tribesmen from the foot of Alex Kenny.   Kenny’s angled shot found the far corner of the net and put Galway into a 1-2 to 0-4 lead and it came slightly against the run of play.

The goal buoyed Galway’s confidence and the Brighton based side played some nice football for the remainder of the half.  Jamie Kelly’s kickouts found their men as it was a possession strategy.  Kieran Molloy did well at wing back and covered a lot of ground, as did corner back Ruairi Greene.  Galway tallied a further 6 points from Kenny, Cian McMonagle, Cian Darcy, and Jamie Keogh. 

McAnespies played the ball well out of defence and attacked in spurts, and will have rued a handful of missed opportunities.  Michael Walsh at wing forward was full of running, while Seamie Breslin in the middle of the field was involved in most things happening for McAnespies.  Points from Adam McKenna, Seamie Breslin, Che O’Donnell, and Croft kept McAnespies in touch, while a Walsh shot at the end of the half that came off the foot of the post would have put McAnespies into a one point lead at the break.  As it was it Galway went in 2 to the good at the half.

Seamie Bresling shoots with Cian Molloy in attendance.
The second half continued with each side vying for the edge.  With the corner forwards on both sides struggling to get involved, the corner backs had the edge for both sides.  Croft, Flood and O’Donnell brought McAnespies closer with a point each as points from Forde and McMonagle held Galway’s slender one point lead intact.  After Darcy had pointed for Galway, Brian Breslin was issued a black card and with a premier home based defender off the field the challenge for McAnespies would be all the greater. 

The teams traded scores, with McAnespies drawing level on two occasions coming into the final few minutes, but could not find that go ahead score.  Galway introduced Craig Kennedy to the fray after Ruairi Greene was given a black card, and the Kildare man pointed twice shortly after entering play.  Points from Croft and Walsh drew McAnespies level with full time upon us.  It was a smashing McMonagle point that proved to be the winning score.  The Kildare man from Clogherinkoe pointed from a tight angle to restore Galway’s lead with the game on the line.  The score was followed by a Cummins goal in injury time that captured the points for Galway and allowed the tribemen to celebrate their first win on the season.

Macs:  Thomas Brerton, Eoin Delmer, Brian Breslin, Paul Clifford, Niall Rooney, Adam McKenna, Martin Mongan, Seamus Breslin, James Rigney, Che O’Donnell, Michael Walsh, Robbie Croft, Dean Flood. 

Galway:  Jamie Kelly, Ruairi Greene, David Murphy, Kieran Molloy, Dylan McHugh, Stuart Cullen, Cian Darcy, Jamie Keogh, Sam Lenihan, Alex Kenny, Ryan Forde, Cian McMonagle, Kevin Cummins. 
By Rory O'Donnell

No comments: