Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Sunday July 15 - Senior Football: Connemara Gaels v Galway

Owen Gallagher and the Galway forwards
met a wall of Gaels defenders.
Connemara Gaels 4-17 Galway 0-9 
Connemara Gaels ended Galway’s slim hopes of staying alive in the 2018 senior football championship.  Keith Byrne at center forward and Des Conneeley at corner forward proved difficult for Galway to handle, while at the other end the Connemara men defended well, and in numbers, to keep the Galway attacking threats contained.
Three first half goals for the Gaels put them into the driver’s seat as the old defensive ghosts continued to haunt Galway.  With Galway ahead by 2 points to one, the Gaels hit with a goal right from the kickout just after Owen Gallagher had pointed for the Tribesmen.  Stephen O’Brien won the ball in the middle of the field and Keith Byrne kept a cool head to finish.  The second came right away courtesy of Tyler Flaherty with the feed from fellow corner forward, Des Conneeley, and third came from Conneeley himself who was busy in the corner for most of the first 30 minutes. 
Galway could have easily put their heads down, but the Tribesmen stuck to their task and started to convert points.  Cian McMonagle was on the mark from the dead ball, however, the Gaels clogged up the defence with bodies and there was hardly any room to swing a leg.  Ray Ryan was in with a goal chance near the end of the half, but Eoin Connolly got down well to make a fine save from close range.  The Gaels picked off points from Bergin, Flaherty, and Conneeley and at the break led by a score of 3-6 to 0-6.
Colman Mulkerrin shoots for the Gaels.
The second half saw the Gaels extend their lead.  Galway had made a few positional adjustments and started the half with promising endeavor, but it was short lived as the Gaels started to find their range and float over the points.  Byrne looked more comfortable at center forward as the game wore on and the Leitrim native popped over 3 lovely scores.  Galway continued to find the going tough at the forward end of the field as the Gaels defended in numbers. 
With the outcome in little doubt enter the subs, and the fresh legs of Ryan Galvin and Pat O’Donnell the Gaels lifted their game for the final 15 minutes.  Another goal came from Coneeley as the quick passing Gaels took advantage of tired Galway legs.  The Gaels take a step towards solidifying their playoff credentials, while for Galway it was their last chance to keep the door open.

Gaels:  Eoin Connolly, David Black, M O’Connor, Kieran Killeen, Sean Mulkerins, Christy Cunningham, Colm Brennan, Stephen O’Brien, Colman Mulkerrin, Kieth Byrne, Kenny Gavigan, Tyler Flaherty, Desmond Conneeley.
 Galway:  James Kelly, Daire Quinn, Paddy Naughton, Stuart Cullen, Greg Lundy, Sean Moriarty, Alan Egan, Ryan Forde, Ray Ryan, Owen Gallagher, Adam Gallagher, Jamie Keogh, Cian McMonagle.
By Rory O'Donnell

No comments: