Monday, July 30, 2018

Sunday July 29 - Senior Hurling: Offaly v Galway

Offaly 1-13 Galway 2-18

Galway came back from last week’s loss to Tom’s with a win over a game Offaly team who put in a great effort to turn the Tribe.  Offaly led early but Galway chipped away and late in the game goaled through Aidan Helebert to put the game beyond Offaly, who started to struggle a bit in the final quarter. 

Offaly's Seamus Loftus tries to gain possession.
The teams were tied at 1-8 each after 30 minutes.  Offaly played well at the back, and Jack Murray did well in the middle of the field, as did Cian Clifford at corner forward.  Offaly’s goal came courtesy of Clifford who got on the end of a high Jack Dunphy ball to reverse bat it into the Galway net.  Offaly points came from the usually reliable source of Niall Mannion, from play and the dead ball, while Jimmy Rigney and Dunphy also drove over some great long range scores.

Galway kept pace however, although the tribesmen trailed by 6 points at one stage they were not long pulling it back.  Jack Lyons at corner forward always looked dangerous.  At one point Gary Sherlok made a great close range save from Lyons, but about 5 minutes later Lyons had another chance and this time hit the back of the net.  Aidan Helebert was a little off early in the half, missing a handful of long range frees, but started to hit the mark as time wore on.  Oisin Donnellan clipped two nice efforts over the bar just before half time to make it a tie game at the break.

Offaly did well in the early going, but it was 
Galway who lasted the the 60 minutes.
With 15 minutes left Galway had edged into a 2 point lead.  Jack Lyons came into a deeper position, and at the back Trevor Lee did well.  One Galway score came from some good work at the back from Lee, and it ended with a Lyons point.  Center back Calum Lyons started to clean up a lot of loose ball into the Galway defence, and cleared well on several occasions to neutralize Offaly’s forays forward.

Offaly kept digging though, Emmet Moran worked hard at corner back, and a couple of half chances at goal presented themselves.  Clifford shot from an angle and John Coleman saved well and with 10 to go Jack Lynch had a half chance that went into the side netting.  Galway added to their lead and points from Helebert and John Moylan made it a two score game.  Mannion pulled one back but with the humid conditions taking their toll on players, scores were at a premium.  A Helebert goal with 5 minutes left sealed Offaly’s fate; 6 points looked like a mountain the way the game was going.  Galway bounce back following last week’s defeat to Tom’s, and Offaly just ran out of steam when the game was still in the balance.

Galway:  John Coleman, Trevor Lee, Cormac Dunphy, Brendan Furlong, Calum Lyons, Ryan Garry, Oisin Donnellan, Enda Feeney, Michael Moylan, Aidan Helebert, Adam Kenny, John Moylan, Jack Lyons.

Offaly:  Gary Sherlock, Emmet Moran, Thomas Quirke, Jack Murray, Seamus Loftus, Oisin McCormack, Chris McMahon, Jack Dunphy, Niall Mannion, James Rigney, Jack Lynch, Cillian Campbell, Cian Clifford.
By Rory O'Donnell

No comments: