Monday, July 20, 2015

Men's Senior Football: Christopher's v Shannon Blues

Christopher’s 1-12 Shannon Blues 0-14

Christopher’s twice came from behind in the second half to record a hard earned win over the Shannon Blues.  The Blues looked like they would record a routine win with 15 minutes to go and had the initiative, leading by four points.  A Cathal Vaughan goal tied the game, and after the Blues restored their lead in response, Christopher’s finished the game with three points unanswered and held on till the final whistle sounded.

The Blues Wayne Guthrie makes a fantastic leap for this high ball.
The first half was tightly contested with some fantastic scores coming from each side.  Barry O’Dwyer and Dara Roche each put some hard fought points over the bar.  The Blues at times strung some scintillating moves together with hard running and quick passing, the forward line at times shows a telepathic understanding of each other’s intentions.  Cathal Vaughan for Christopher’s also tallied a couple of great scores from difficult angles, and under pressure. 

There were others who contributed on the scoreboard, Stephen Cahill made a foray from wing back to pop one over, while midfielder Ryan Harkin added to Christopher’s tally at the end of the half to level the scores at seven points each.

The man of the hour, Cathal Vaughan hits a pass into the corner forwards.
The Blues opened up a gap in the second half with scores from Dara Treacy, Roche, Wayne Guthrie, and Paddy Kennelly.  Christopher’s struggled to contain the potent Blues forward line, which was well supported by the half back line.  Paidi O’Shea and Stephen Cahill were always willing to come forward in support and were on hand to pick up the loose balls.  Four points was the difference and another win looked on the cards for the Blues coming into the final quarter.

Christopher’s still had life in their legs though, and Vaughan lived up to his billing as a match winner.  After the Blues train of scores was broken by a Vaughan point, the main man for Christopher’s made a long solo run and put the ball low and into the back of the net from outside the 14.  Tied up now.  The Blues responded in clinical fashion, however.  Two quick points from O’Shea and Roche recaptured the lead, but again Christopher’s responded.  Mark Delaney, who battled hard in the middle of the field all day long, pointed, while Vaughan tied the game with a point from play and put the winner over the bar from a free.

Christopher’s tried to play the possession game to run down the clock, however, the Blues had a couple of chances to tie the game, but did not take them and Christopher’s just about saw the game though to the final whistle.  Another surprise win this week, this time for Christopher’s, and it keeps them in the hunt come early August.

Christopher’s:  E. Keogh, K. Fulignati, L. Kitterick, E. O’Neill, N. Rossiter, P. Kenneally, S. White, R. Harkin, M. Delaney, C. Vaughan, E. Nolan, T. Fahy, E. O’Connor.  Blues:  D. O’Brien, T. Wallace, C. Jordan, S. Cahill, T. Grey, P. O’Shea, W. Guthrie, G. Horan, D. Wallace, B. O’Dwyer, D. Treacy, K. Hurley, D. Roche.

By Rory O'Donnell

No comments: