Monday, July 6, 2015

Senior Hurling: Fr. Tom Burke's v Galway

Fr. Tom Burke’s 2-21 Galway 1-18

Fr. Tom’s put rivals Galway to the sword with a six point win.  The teams were neck and neck entering the final quarter, and it was Tom’s who had the kick in the final stretch to come away with both points in a very entertaining game.  Dylan Costello netted at a critical time, and the goal was followed by two excellent points from Paul Winters and David O’Mahoney to propel Tom’s to victory.

Barrry Whelan on his way to earning a penalty for Galway.
Tom’s had the two point cushion at the break.  Galway had the better of things early on and led by four with 15 minutes played.  Galway had netted early on through Barry Whelan, and with the sides level at 1-2 to five points Galway went on a five points to one tear.  John Moylan accounted for 3, Jack McDowell and Robert O’Hanrahan the balance.  It could have been a larger gap, however a Moylan penalty was saved by Alan Keating to give Tom’s a lifeline that they grasped with both hands. 

It was their turn now to tally the scores.  A David O’Mahoney goal brought Tom’s into it.  The Portlaoise man was found sitting on the 21 with space, and having made a clean fetch, turned and fired into the roof of the net to put Tom’s up by a point.  Moylan and Winters traded frees, and O’Mahoney got the odd score to edge Tom’s into a two point half time lead.

John Moylan in possession. 
The game went to and fro in the second half, with Galway edging into a lead after 20 minutes.  O’Mahoney and Shane Howley added to Tom’s lead with a point apiece to get things going for the second half.  Galway worked their way back into the game.  Moylan (3) and Stephen Roche pointed to bring Galway level, before Darragh Murray put the tribesmen ahead.  Things got heated as the game was in the balance and tensions rose – each side wanted this one badly.  Toms’ Kevin Dunne and Galway’s Kieran Mahon were shown yellows by referee Ger Hoey. 

After wasting two good chances to draw level, Tom’s jumped into the lead with a goal after the alert Dylan Costello pounced on a rebound to pull on the ball and drive it into the net.  While Galway tried to shuffle the deck and revitalize their efforts for the final 10 minutes, Tom’s were roused and finished with four points on the trot.  One in particular was the product of excellent teamwork.  The fearless Shane Howley fetched in traffic and handpassed to O’Mahoney, who with his back to goal neatly turned the ball over his left shoulder and over the bar.  Dubliner Paul Winters followed with a great effort from out on the wing and the game was firmly in hand.  Tom’s join Tipperary in the top spot, though Tipp can regain sole position with a win against Wexford next Sunday.

Tom’s:  A. Keating, S. Og Lyon, C. Burgin, S. McClennard, K. Kennedy, S. Dolan, D. Costello, L. O’Neill, C. Burke, S. Howley, P. Winters, D. O’Mahoney, K. Dunne.  Galway:  K. Hammersley, M. Lennon, O. Teagle, O. Keevers, S. O’Neill, JJ Doyle, S. Roche, R. O’Hanrahan, C. Wafer, B. Whelan, D. Murray, J. Moylan, J. MacDowell.

By Rory O'Donnell

No comments: