Monday, July 13, 2015

Senior Football: Galway v Aidan McAnespies

Galway 2-13 Aidan McAnespies 1-11

Galway dished out the first defeat of the season to Aidan McAnespies with a brilliant performance, full of determination and confidence.  Picking up their first win of the season, the Tribesmen looked in control for most of the game.  Two goals in quick succession from Galweigan, Craig Kennedy, proved the tipping point when the game was in the balance and Galway saw off the efforts of their opponents with some tough defending and keeping possession to kill off time. 

McAnespies' Tony Donnelly tries to burst.

Galway raised some eyebrows for after the first 10 minutes were played the tribesmen led by six points to no score.  Galway’s blistering pace would not last however, as McAnespies took their turn in the driver’s seat and put five points over to no reply.  At Galway’s end it was Meathman, Seamus Mattemo, doing the early damage, followed by Kevin Cummins with 3 frees. Collie Donnelly eventually got McAnespies off the start line, and was followed by Derryman Danny Tallon, Chris Healy, and Michael Day as the initiative swung back and forth.  After Cummins stemmed the tide with an excellently taken free, Tallon, who is really coming into his own, finished the superb move to net for McAnespies.  The sides went into the break all square after Cummins had pointed another free, though McAnespies were the side with the initiative in their favor at the break.

Oisin Reilly in possession for Galway.
The pace of the game slowed somewhat in the second half, the heat sapping energy from tired legs, and the sides traded points, Tony Donnelly and Cummins did the honors for each side.  Craig Kennedy had been called on a couple of occasions for over carrying as he tried to round his man having won possession on the right side of the field, but soon afterwards got in twice in quick succession to rifle the ball into the roof of the net from the left side.  Galway had made the breakthrough and were on the pigs back.  The defence stepped up when McAnespies threatened, Michael Collins and Fergal Reilly at corner back were sharp to every ball played into the dangerous Chris Healy and Tallon. 

Galway’s forward line were quick and full of running and rediscovered some of the pace from early in the game.  Mattemo, Kennedy, and Jason Campion moved the ball well, and the place kicking of Cummins was second to none.  The Galway lead grew to seven points as a famous win became ever more likely, Cummins and Enda Flanagan doing the honors by adding points.  When it was time to kill the clock Galway did well keeping possession and saw out time to deliver the first defeat of the season to McAnespies, and claim the first win for themselves.

Galway:  Jamie Kelly, M. Collins, F. Reilly, D. Reddin, L. Laheen, O. Reilly, S. Marchell, K. Mulvaney, J. Campion, K. Cummins, S. Mattemo, C. Kennedy, E. Flanagan.  Macs:  P. Coakley, R. Kennedy, E. Kerins, J. Carney, B. Greenan, M. Bogue, M. Day, J. Brickland, F. McGeough, C. Donnelly, T. Donnelly, D. Tallon, C. Healy.

By Rory O'Donnell

No comments: