Sunday, July 26, 2015

Senior Football: Christopher's v Wolfe Tones

Wolfe Tones 2-17 Christopher’s 4-10

Wolfe Tones followed up last week’s romp over the Connemara Gaels with another win, though this week the men in blue and navy just about hung on to earn a hard fought win over Christopher’s.  The Tones looked to be cruising at half time, however, in the second half Christopher’s launched a comeback.  Late goals from Dan Kenneally, who was placed on the edge of the box pulled Christopher’s within a point, however, at that stage there was too little time left for Christopher’s rescue the point.

Wolfe Tones Gary Brilly launches another attack.
Wolfe Tones put on a fine display of running the ball in the opening half.  The first 20 minutes was all Tones, and it was 2 goals that kept the game from slipping away from Christopher’s.  Michael Argue accounted for the Tones first half goal, and it was a good one.  Argue combined with fellow Cavan county man, Dara McVeety and Tomas O’Connor to place the ball in the bottom left corner of Eoghan Keogh’s net. 

The Tones were rampant, building from the half back line the South Boston men lined up for scores from Marty Farrell, McVeety, Ciaran Hurley, and Argue.  Defenders also got in the act, half backs Conor McCormack and David Hyland pointed, and corner back Eoin Powderley pointed before the half time whistle.  Christopher’s hung in thanks to two goals, the first from Eanna O’Connor and the second from Dan Kenneally.  Kenneally was placed on the edge of the box to great effect, fisting a high ball into the corner of the net.  Chances were at a premium for Christopher’s however, and too often the shot drifted wide of the posts.

Playing at center forward, Cathal Vaughan found himself isolated on several occasions and swamped by Tones defenders.   Christopher’s managed a handful of points amid several missed chances before the break through Vaughan and Eoin O’Neill.  At the break it was a 6 point Tones lead, 1-12 to 2-3.

Christopher's Mark Delaney shoots
The second half saw the tables turn somewhat and Christopher’s enjoy the edge in play – perhaps the Tones first half exhertions had taken a toll.  Darren McDonnell was a hero between the posts for the Tones, pulling off a handful of brave stops when Christopher’s looked to be in for a goal.  Christopher’s inched closer by way of the point, however.  Kenneally, Vaughan, Sean White and Ryan Harkin brought Christopher’s 4 points closer before the Tones responded. 

O’Connor netted for the Tones to start the final quarter which was quickly cancelled out with a strike from Dan Kenneally.  Would Christopher’s repeat last week’s come from behind victory?  It looked a possibility after Kenneally netted again in injury time to pull Christopher’s within a point.  A scuffle before the end of the game saw a red card issued to Paschal Connell, and Christopher’s had a couple of late half chances to level affairs.  The tying score did not come however, and for the Tones the victory will have been greeted with relief.  The Tones looking impressive coming into the crunch time of the season, while Christopher’s will need a win in their final game against the out of the running Kerry to be sure they keep in it.

Tones:  D. McDonnell, E. Powderley, P. Faulkner, C. McCormack, D. Hyland, D. Maguire, M. Argue, G. Brilly, D. McCabe, M. Farrell, D. McVeety, T. O’Connor, C. Hurley.  Christopher’s:  E. Keogh, N. Rossiter, L. Kitterick, E. O’Neill, C. Murphy, P. Kenneally, S. White, R. Harkin, E. Nolan, C. Vaughan, M. Delaney, D. Kenneally, E. O’Connor.

By Rory O'Donnell

No comments: