Monday, July 6, 2015

Senior Football: Aidan McAnespies v Christopher's

Christopher’s 1-13 Aidan McAnespies 3-13

Aidan McAnespies continued their hundred percent record with a comprehensive victory over Christopher’s.  A good all round display and some timely scores, a goal on the stroke of half time and another late in the second half, put the game away for the Macs men.

Christopher’s got off to a flying start with four unanswered points Sean White, Aherlow man Tom Fahy, and two frees from Cathal Vaughan opened an early lead.  It did not take McAnespies long to settle, a few wayward passes early on were corrected and the scores started to come.  Danny Tallon who was deployed at center forward looked a natural, bursting through at the right times, and combined well with Chris Healy for a score.  Tallon also had 3 more to his name before the half was done.

Johnny Brickland in possession for McAnespies with Eanna O'Connchuir in attendance..
The introduction of Johnny Brickland, who interestingly did not start the game, helped McAnespies fortunes on the field, but not before Christopher’s had restored their lead.  A soccer style goal from Eoghan Buckely put Christopher’s four points ahead, a lead they managed to maintain right up to the final minute of injury time.  A goal was on the cards for McAnespies however.  Having pointed three on the trot from Healy, Tallon, and Tony Donnelly, a goal came from the boot of Kildare man Healy right on the half time whistle to make it a 1-8 to 1-6 McAnespies half time lead.

Collie Donnelly got McAnespies off to a fine start to the second period with a goal.  The sides sputtered somewhat after the fast pace of the opening period had sapped much energy from the legs of players on each side.  Christopher’s generated plenty of chances to score, however the shooting was not as sharp as was needed, perhaps fatigue taking its toll.  Fahy and Mark Delaney eventually found the mark to narrow the gap to two points, however, it did not look as though a knockout punch would be coming from Christopher’s. 

Tony Donnelly points as Paudie Kenneally attempts a block.
It did come from McAnespies.  Christopher’s keeper Eoghan Keogh had just made a brilliant save from Donnelly who shot from inside the penalty area.  After the 45 drifted wide the next goal chance came from the kickout.  Donnelly had the ball in a similar position as a minute before, but this time made the extra pass to Healy who crashed the ball into the roof of the open net.  It was now a two goal McAnespies lead and there was less than 10 minutes to go.  Christopher’s pushed for a goal, but McAnespies had victory in sight and closed off the routes to goal.  Just over half way through the senior football championship and it is McAnespies setting the pace. 

Christopher’s:  E. Keogh, K. Fulignati, L. Ketterick, E. O’Neill, S. White, P. Kenneally, M. Delaney, R. Harkin, T. Fahy, E. O’Connochuir, D. Flannery, E. Buckely, C. Vaughan.  Macs:  M. McMahon, R. Kennedy, E. Kerins, M. Boyle, B. Greenan, M. Bogue, M. Day, C. Donnelly, J. Cox, D. Tallon, F. McGeough, T. Donnelly, C. Healy.

By Rory O'Donnell

No comments: