Monday, July 13, 2015

Senior Hurling: Wexford v Tipperary

Wexford 1-10 Tipperary 1-18

With Wexford still looking for their first win of the senior hurling championship and Tipperary looking for sole position at the top of the table the sides met Sunday afternoon.  It was Tipp who accomplished their mission with some strong performances from Wille Egan, Adrian Morrissey and Jason Bergin, who popped up with a goal in the second half to send Tipp on their way.

Wexford's Richie Doyle in possession.

 The teams slugged it out for the first half, and at the end of the 30 minutes Tipp had the edge by four points.  Tipperary looked strong with Willie Egan at center back, former Waterford intercounty star, Stephen Molumphy, in the middle of the field, and Adrian Morrissey at corner forward all doing their bit.    

Stephen Molumphy tries to gather under close attention.
It was tit for tat for most of the half, though Wexford had Jamie Barry to thank for a great save from Mikey Ryan as Tipperary pressed in the early going.  Morrissey was the man on the mark for Tipp with five pointed frees and two points from play while Wexford got contributions on the scoreboard from many quarters, Eoghan Kavanagh, Niall Kennedy, Jamie Desmond, and John O’Driscoll each contributed.  With Tipperary threatening to pull away having opened a 4 point lead, Wexford pulled a goal back through Paudge Kehoe to make it a one point game at the break, 1-6 to 0-10 in Tipp’s favor.

Tipperary made several switches in the second half and the fresh legs made a difference as the second half wore on.  The heat took its toll on Kinnity man Jimmy Rigney who had to leave due to dehydration.  After trading two points each, Jason Bergin and Morrissey put back to back points over and Tripp then hit with a goal from Bergin to make it a six point game.  Bergin and Morrissey added two more points and the Tipp advantage had ballooned to eight. 

With Egan in command at center back, and wing backs Tommy Rigney and Andy McRedmond who replaced brother Jimmy in support, Wexford’s chances did not look too good.  Murray and Desmond pulled a couple of points back, but Tipp had them back at 8 points through Morrissey and Egan.  Wexford had a handful of half chances at net, however Clinton Hennessey was not too troubled dealing with the danger.  Tipp eased to the win, While Wexford will be hoping for a win or two in the second part of the season to keep playoff hopes alive.

Wexford:  S. Barry, J. Keyes, C. Robinson, M. Morris, J. Desmond, T. Moloney, J. Kehoe, C. Murray, P. Kehoe, R. Doyle, N. Kennedy, J. O’Driscoll, E. Kavanagh.  Tipp:  C. Hennessy, D. Moloney, P. Meade, J. Rigney, W. Egan, T. Rigney, S. Molumphy, R. Sludds, B. O’Leary, J. Bergin, M. O’Leary, M. Ryan, A. Morrissey.

By Rory O'Donnell

No comments: