Monday, August 3, 2015

Junior A Football: Wolfe Tones v Aidan McAnespies

Wolfe Tones 1-14 Aidan McAnespies 2-8

Wolfe Tones booked their place in the semi-final of the junior A football championship with a deserved win over Aidan McAnespies.  Sean Higgins lined out in midfield for Wolfe Tones, making a return to action following last season’s injury that kept him out for almost a full year.  Chris Fenner was the Tones dangerman at corner forward, and when in possession the South Boston men linked up well.  McAnespies had the speedy Armagh duo of Sean McConville and Jemar Hall up front.  The game was tight on the scoreboard all the way, however, the final five minutes saw the Tones secure the win with points from Fenner and Gavin Walsh who entered the fray in the latter stages.

Forkhill man Jemar Hall is on to this ball as Pa Collins looks on.
Wolfe Tones took the break a point to the good thanks to a Chris Fenner free just before the whistle.  The sides were evenly matched, however, it was McAnespies who looked more threatening going forward.  The speed of Sean McConville opened up the Tones defence on a handful of occasions, and it was from the third one of these forays that the Macs netted.  The first 2 occasions that the Tones defence was opened up the end product was a wide, however the third time Hall was pulled back in the area, and McConville blasted the shot home.

The Tones had the advantage on the scoreboard with points well spread across the forward line, the lively Fenner at corner forward, Kyle Lynch, Lyndon Kiley, and Pa Collins each got on the scoring list as the Tones looked well balanced.  Scores for McAnespies came from Hall, Kieran Treanor, and Jonathan McGourty.  At the break it was 0-8 to 1-4 in the Tones favour.

Will Sean Higgins or Enda Hamill blink first?
With 10 minutes to go it was all square, and anxious Cork men were observing in the wings as a Tones win would leave Cork with no hope of making the semi-finals.  Tones had extended their lead with a Fenner goal that finished off a well worked move shortly after the restart, and Kevin Gorham added a point.  McConville popped up for another goal for McAnespies to keep them in touch, and that score was followed by points from Hall and Brian Shaughnessy. 

The Tones put the pressure on and had a handful for bad wides as opportunities to open a lead presented themselves.  Fenner eventually hit back to back points and the Tones looked like they would be headed to the semi-finals.  McAnespies kept plugging away and narrowed the gap to a point entering the last few minutes with scores from Hall and Ryan Shaughnessy.  The Tones, however, defence contained a tired looking McAnespies forward line in the last few minutes, and Fenner, along with Gavin Walsh popped over back to back points to secure the victory.  With the win Cork are out of the running and the Tones join McAnespies, Connemara Gaels, and Donegal in the semis.

Tones:  P. Miskell, A. Rooney, D. Branniff, C. Moriarty, K. Regan, L. Kiley, S. Higgins, P. Collins, J. Carroll, N. Crowe, K. Gorham, C. Fenner, K. Lynch.  Macs:  E. McKenna, J. Flynn, M. McQuaid, P. Daly, J. Ahern, M. Bogue, B. Shaughnessy, K. Treanor, J. McGourty, S. McConville, E. Hamill, S. Kane, J. Hall.

By Rory O'Donnell

No comments: